Merauke breeding season IS HERE! *GRAPHIC*

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: First Merauke breeding of the year!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 am

Foreplay!!

Image
Image
Image

Sorry for the bad photos, didn't want to disturb him.. he is very secretive about this stuff.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: First Merauke breeding of the year!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:33 am

The IJ must be sensing it, too...... he just dropped 2 plugs.

Image
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: First Merauke breeding of the year!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 am

2nd Merauke breeding of the year!!
Image

His hemipene, this time no blood on it.
Image
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Lea » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:52 am

Looks like a successful breeding attempt, fingers crossed. Looking good!
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am

I have everything on my body that can cross.. CROSSED! :lol: They were stuck together a good while (5 minutes or so).

It all happened SO fast, too! Like he was nudging her in all, but when Virginia started to get active, he when all at it! And for the people that don't know, their breeding is actually pretty rough, I tell you!

And just a little note, I took out everything in the cage so they wouldn't get in the way of them breeding.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Uploading pics and video now - but I've got Merauke copulations over here too. Quick, everyone pair up your meraukes! :)
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 pm

hurricanejen wrote:Uploading pics and video now - but I've got Merauke copulations over here too. Quick, everyone pair up your meraukes! :)

Can't wait to see. :D
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Ophidiophile
The Rock'n Roll Science Nerd
The Rock'n Roll Science Nerd
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Rocky Mountain High, Colorado USA
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Ophidiophile » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 pm

Sounds like an impending bumper crop of captive bred and born Meraukes is on the way in 2014!
David P. Tracer
Ophidiophile Farms
http://www.ophidiophile.com
Ophidiophiles are Snake Lovers!

2.4 Northern BTS
2.2 Eastern BTS
2.0.6 Tanimbar BTS
0.1 Irian Jaya BTS
1.1 Blotched BTS
3.2 Indonesian BTS
6.7 Merauke BTS
4.5.8 Kei Island BTS
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm

Lockups :) Pretty stoked - we've had a heat wave here lately, so ambient temps have been in the low 80s during the day and only the mid 70s at night. However, today, it's cold and cloudy and sprinkling... Saw this thread, thought might as well try it, I've been pairing up the skinks to try and see if I can figure out genders lately anyway.

AND BAM. Merauke lockup - the female here is the large one I brought from home that I've had for a couple years now. Moriarty, as it turns out, is a girl :)

Image

Image

In September, Moriarty beat the absolute SNOT out of every skink I put her with, and I was really concerned she was a male and too aggressive to attempt to pair with anything. Kept her here to keep trying as winter came and I am stoked to find that she's a female, just like I've always suspected. :)

I got video as well, but the internet here is super slow and it's taking ages to load. I'll post that up once it does
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Super awesome other people are having the same success! I just wish my other pair would continue to keep the ball rolling.

I did not make a video, but I am tomorrow if they pair again. :D
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:16 pm

For Jen and Susann, how long did it take for the male to start trying to breed the female from when you first put them in the cage? Ema did foreplay for at least 3-4 hours, then in 1 second he got serious and bred her.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Not even 10 minutes, lol. I've got some Indos paired right now that I'm watching. I may have copulations there as well
I used to be cool.
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Classic or Halmahera?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Then I guess it is just like Richard said, I caught it early.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Scincoides » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:05 pm

I had my wife put a pair together for me since I'm stuck at work. She said "the male chased jazz behind the big log, when he came out, one of his boy parts was sticking out" after taking a good look at jazz when I got home for my lunch break, she has some roughed up scales on the back of her neck/side. I think I may have had a good pairing as well. I'm going to run all four of the boys through her enclosure this weekend and see what happens.
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Yay, that makes 4 people now!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
RoryBreaker
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 773
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am
Country:
Location: Queensland,Australia

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby RoryBreaker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Dakota,

Start recording the dates where copulation was observed (until young are born) so you can add your data to the "gestation period" thread in the Advanced discussion forum. It needs some gigas information.
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby donkeybuff » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:26 pm

This is very promising. Good job all four of you! Excellent work!
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:27 pm

I have recorded EVERYTHING down. :) Temperatures, time of day, timing in cage, and date of copulations. :D
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Merauke breeding season IS HERE!

Postby hurricanejen » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Here it is, almost a minute and a half of sweet, sweet blue tongue love.

http://youtu.be/WJ0YHljqgDA

I did not see a copulation with the indonesians, but there was definitely some interest. I'll be re introducing a lot of the skinks on Monday. :) Thanks guys! And CONGRATS to the other keepers with their locks today - must be something in the air for the whole country!!

-Jen
I used to be cool.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 183 guests