Advanced ID, please!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Dakota » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Wait, left is Indo.. right Merauke/IJ..

I still get my right's and left's mixed up.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby donkeybuff » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:58 pm

The Meraukes have more scales but they are the left picture? I'm confused, am I missing something?
My indo has the scales of the picture on the right.
Edit: You beat me to it! So my indo has merauke scales.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Dakota » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Post pictures!! :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Kurt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Dakota Nivens wrote:Thin-banded IJ's or just simply IJ's like Susann mentioned.


But you aren't sure if its an IJ or an IJ/merauke? So babies could be 75% IJ and 25% merauke?
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur
Posts: 1592
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
Country: USA
Location: California

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby donkeybuff » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Dakota Nivens wrote:Post pictures!! :)

I took a close-up, but when I looked at the picture on my computer screen I realized that he has the same scales as London, which would make him typical with Halmaheras.
Edit: Now, I'm actually not 100% sure...here's the pic

IMG_1985.JPG


And here's a picture of his patterning just for comparison between Merauke/Indo/IJ...I don't think there is much dispute over the fact that he has indonesian patterning.

IMG_1986.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Dakota » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:12 pm

Kurt wrote:
Dakota Nivens wrote:Thin-banded IJ's or just simply IJ's like Susann mentioned.


But you aren't sure if its an IJ or an IJ/merauke? So babies could be 75% IJ and 25% merauke?

This is not a question to whether he is an IJ/Merauke. They don't keep it "pure" in the wild, and if I find one that looks just like him, there would be no problem. He does not resemble any proven mixes of IJ/Meraukes. He has way more IJ traits than Merauke, and I have seen others besides the video I linked. When you get an animal that is WC you never truly know the blood-lines of it. You just mainly go by color or patterning. You can't go by just because he has thin bands. Yeah, he has difference scalations, but that wouldn't keep me from breeding him, now that I got the understanding that not all are textbook examples.

I didn't even get him for any purposes of breeding anyways, I'm focusing on Meraukes and Halmahera locale Indonesians, mainly the Merauke, though.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Dakota » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 pm

donkeybuff wrote:
Dakota Nivens wrote:Post pictures!! :)

I took a close-up, but when I looked at the picture on my computer screen I realized that he has the same scales as London, which would make him typical with Halmaheras.
Edit: Now, I'm actually not 100% sure...here's the pic

IMG_1985.JPG


And here's a picture of his patterning just for comparison between Merauke/Indo/IJ...I don't think there is much dispute over the fact that he has indonesian patterning.

IMG_1986.JPG


Virginia has the same "in-between" temporal scales as him, but more.. since well, she is a Merauke. He definitely has more than two, but his overall body-color throws me off.. body-color of a classic Indo, scalation of a Halm.. :chin:
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 629
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
Country:
Location: Southern Oregon

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Kurt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I think it's an IJ through and through. I was just curious why you would considering breeding an unidentified skink that you thought may be a hybrid...
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Richard.C » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 pm

odd,halms are classic indos

dakota scalation isnt just about that section,lower lip up,look on top of the heads in those pics u posted,the birds eye view images,especially in the eye area ,scalation varies even with in a species/subspecies,they have ranges of scale counts amongst many other things that describes what theu are,based on locality specific animals

captives of wild origin could be from anywhere put over others from elsewhere,its common to see this happenong,and gawd knows what happens when wild caughts are held in mass before importation
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Advanced ID, please!

Postby Richard.C » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:07 am

ij dont have a scalation description,they arent scientifically recognised,those pics i showed show scalation of the type specimenns of an indo and a merauke,theres zero mention of ij

one of the things you are missing with ij type blueys is theres a huge variance in scalation,remember some look more gigas,others look more scincoides and theres a squillion differences in between

your one just has the more gigas look to it but with out gigas neck stripe,more scincoidesy looking there

the joys of trying to figure ij,s out,just look for a similar looking one if u want to pair it,doesnt need to be exact just similar traits,end of the day an ij is an ij

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests