Tiny

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Tiny

Postby Susann » Thu May 30, 2013 7:14 am

“Ask the beasts and they will teach you the beauty of this earth.”
St. Francis of Assisi

Wow what a day.
Part of me feels silly feeling this much pain after this little creature who was only here for 8 days, but the other part of me understands. He was such a helpless little guy, and as a mommy I will always love most the one who needs me the most. I think the tiny little bug left such a big hole in me partly because of all the potential I saw. I know that sounds cliché maybe, but I could just imagine the joy on the faces of little kids, who didn’t have the use of their legs, crawling alongside little Tiny who was crawling just like them...

But part of loving him meant to not be selfish and keep him here for my own reasons, but to let him go at first sign from him of pain or struggling. Tuesday night I noticed that he wasn’t just "filling out", but also taking very shallow breaths. I had been gently massaging his tummy with warm water to try to stimulate that function, but after yet another water session yesterday morning with nothing happening, I decided that it was probably time to let him go. He hadn’t eaten or taken any water since Monday, and I felt him weakening. He had gained 2 grams, which is an impressive amount when you start out at only 7 grams.

I still couldn’t just trust my own feeling, so I had the vet do another x-ray. It didn’t look very hopeful, and even the vet said that we were probably about to cross the line of going into “heroic measures” trying anything more than I had already been doing.
So we let little teeny Tiny fall asleep.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. "
Anatole France


You would think that that would be enough for one day. Well you would have to think again.

I get home, start putting stuff away, get some food out for the babies, put it on plates, go to put them in the tanks. Kentucky likes to sleep underneath the paper towels, so to make sure I’m not putting the plate down on top of him, I peel the paper back. And about drop the plate.
Kentucky had ballooned up to what seemed double the size of the day before! I don’t believe my eyes; I stand there and just blink for the longest time. Finally gather the courage to pick him up, and he’s all soft and squishy and his breathing seems a little labored.

I take him to the tub, give him a long warm bath, in case he’s a little (or A LOT!) constipated, even though I know he’s been pooping. We all know a warm bath is a skink-enema. Nothing. He’s basically just floating around!
I flip out, start bawling. What the crud is going on!? Well, no other choice than to just load him up, and point the car back to the vet’s office (about an hour drive one way).

Vet picks him up, and after palpating a little says “I think he’s OK. I don’t feel anything that makes me think it’s a blockage.” So he squeezes Kentucky a little, and the poop starts coming. And coming. And coming. Vet says “See? I think he’s fine; maybe he was just a little plugged up, maybe he just engorged himself yesterday...” And a light comes on.

I usually just put some food on a plate, more than I think they can eat, and put the plates in the tanks for them, come back after a little bit and take what’s left on the plate and throw it away.
The day before, Kentucky and Nevada’s plate (they are roommates) was nearly empty! I was a little astonished, but figured it was because they didn’t eat all that much the day before. But still thinking that that was a lot of food for them to put away!

We put Kentucky on the scale. He weighed 30 grams at birth. In a week he’d gained 5 grams, so the day before he was at 35 grams. He now weighed 47 grams!!!! The little porker had gained 12 grams in ONE. DAY. And that was AFTER pooping!!!

I guess from now on he gets just a little dab of food, and I’m watching who eats what!

Well, today I can laugh about it. Yesterday, after 4 hrs in the car and losing Tiny, not so much laughing.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Katydid11
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:38 pm
Country:
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Tiny

Postby Katydid11 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 am

That's really sad to hear. He was adorable! It was really kind of you to give him a chance and also to know when to let him go. Those are the hardest decisions.
:hug:

Stupid nature!!
• 1.0 Eastern- "Sasujee"
• 0.1 Northern
• 2.3 Dogs- Mixed breed variety pack- "Francie", "Mooshu", "Charlie", "Mogwai", "Clover"
• 1.0 Cat- "Sally"
• 7.0 foster rats
• 4.6 Birmingham Roller Pigeons
• 21.4 Chickens
ljhinders
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:41 am
Country:
Location: Iowa

Re: Tiny

Postby ljhinders » Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 am

my heart goes out to you susan :( but his/her spirit will stay with you. you will always have those great pics and memories to remember him/her. hugs to you
User avatar
juliec1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:15 am
Country:
Location: Minnesota, United States

Re: Tiny

Postby juliec1 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:13 am

Hu :( gs
Julie
1 Juvi Merauke (Tiny)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Tiny

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 am

:hug:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tiny

Postby Spindown » Thu May 30, 2013 10:26 am

oh no! I would have offered to adopt Tiny if he had made it, I already have one special needs animal.
Also, putting reptiles in the freezer is one of THE most inhumane methods of euthanasia. I hope thats not how he got put to sleep, but if it is, now you know for the future.
Poor little guy, I'm sorry for your loss :(
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Re: Tiny

Postby StaceyLeigh » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

So sorry :( A loss is a loss, no matter how many days. I felt sadness even with the stillborns and I didn't get to know them at all.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tiny

Postby Spindown » Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm

I had to re-read this, as my day has gone to heck...I'm so glad Kentucky was ok! I'm just picturing the miles of poo being squeezed from a baby skink. I'm not sure whether to be :rofl: or :dead:
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Tiny

Postby Linnea » Thu May 30, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm sorry for your loss :cry:
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Tiny

Postby Susann » Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm

SapphireTigress wrote:putting reptiles in the freezer is one of THE most inhumane methods of euthanasia. I hope thats not how he got put to sleep, but if it is, now you know for the future.

How do you recommend doing it?
I paid the vet to do it, and to dispose of him afterwards, but it cost me $72. Not everybody can afford to pay that for a dying animal, and lots of people outside of the U.S. would have to drive for hours to get their skink to a vet who could do it.

I've been told that, outside of an injection, the most humane way of euthanizing a mammal is to drown it, and the most humane way to euthanize a reptile is to put it in the freezer.
I could personally never do either, but if that's your only option... Sometimes driving for hours, or getting on a buss, is not the most humane option for a suffering animal either.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Tiny

Postby Bird_Brain » Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm

So sorry to hear he didnt make it, Susann! It's never easy to do, but the most humane.
Brad
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tiny

Postby Spindown » Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Spindown on Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: Tiny

Postby El Lobo » Thu May 30, 2013 6:04 pm

Susann, I am genuinely saddened for you for your loss. I can speak as someone who has had to make that call to end suffering on more than one occasion and know it is irrelevant how long the animal had been in your care, it will always a decision that is made by putting aside your wants in favour of the animals needs.

Could we please take into account the sensitivity of this thread before rushing into opinions. There are times when silence speaks louder the words.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tiny

Postby Spindown » Thu May 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Sorry Susann :(

There are times when silence speaks louder the words.
And then theres me. X_X
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: Tiny

Postby Karen » Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 pm

Definitely not what I wanted to see coming back to the site... So sorry Susann. It sounds like you made the right choice on letting the little guy go though.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Tiny

Postby Richard.C » Fri May 31, 2013 5:41 am

Sorry for the loss susann,its definatly the pitts going through that,but sometimes it is the most humane thing to do

Rip tiny
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Tiny

Postby Susann » Fri May 31, 2013 8:58 am

Thank you everyone (SapphireTigress too :wink: ).
I feel quite a bit better today. Staying busy with the 5 little cuties, and the 6 big cuties.
Even Balloon Boy has mostly deflated to somewhat normal measures today, so I can breathe easier there too. :thumbs: ...little stinker...
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Tiny

Postby Spindown » Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 am

haha you should keep KY...he sounds like he is going to be all sorts of trouble for many years to come :P And he's good at doing impressions!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 339 guests