Meraukes!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Scincoides » Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm

I am quite fond of meraukes, but the Australian species are must have animals for me. I was trying to get my hands on a pair of easterns when I finally gave into temptation and decided on taking two of her meraukes. After she was nice enough to answer my seven billion questions, and sent probably 50 more pictures, I thought.. why buy two awesome meraukes when I can take five instead?? Lol so that's how it happened
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Dakota » Tue May 21, 2013 9:25 pm

I wish you luck with the breeding.. :love: Hopefully, I can get some babies this coming season.. :D
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Scincoides » Tue May 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Thank you. :)
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Richard.C » Tue May 21, 2013 10:21 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Jealous? :P



:oops: a smidgen,lol

Im grateful with what i get to keep already though
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Susann » Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 pm

:shock: I'm a little bit speechless... :oops: I promise, I did not pay him to say all those nice things!
But I'll tell you what, rarely do you meet someone as competent and trustworthy as Austin and his wife; they are the ones who made it so easy to be nice and helpful. :D

After messaging back and forth about him wanting the three I had for sale, I felt something I NEVER thought possible; I felt totally comfortable offering to sell him my sick little guy #2 (I honestly felt he would be even better cared for there than with me!), and not only that but I felt strongly about offering to sell him Jazz too!!! Jazzy is my special buddy, but since she's the least "classic" out of all my Meraukes, I had no plans to breed her. And with room in high demand in the house, it felt right for the first time to think about selling her.

So early today I packed up 5 skinks and headed to the airport. And, before the day was over, I had 6 new ones! :sweat:
And I could not be happier with the new home I found for my skinks!
(Are we mushy enough for y'all?! :dead: There's just enough happy here that we thought we'd share!)
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Richard.C » Tue May 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Its like im stuck in pleasantville,except no ones said neato yet

Neato,sounds like its worked out great all round

6 again susann,merauke ground hog day,lol

Was that about 7 months gestation gap again
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Susann » Tue May 21, 2013 11:35 pm

Richard.C wrote:Was that about 7 months gestation gap again

YES! Well, almost, it was 6 1/2 months this time.
Xyla didn't mate in Nov this time, that's why I thought I'd just try sexing Maddie back then, and WHAM-O!
But Xyla did mate in Feb. I figured it'll be interesting to see, IF she's gravid, when she has the bubs. Because if she still gives birth around the same time, then I think it might be irrefutable argument for sperm storage--at least about 2 1/2 - 3 month's worth. Right? Twice I've bred in Nov, and twice delivery was 6 1/2 - 7 months later, and if the same female breeds 3 months later but still has the babies around the same time. IF she has babies around the same time ...or at all.
It'll be fun to see.

Hey, after the second baby was born, she passed a large, yellow, "jelly" ball (slightly larger than an egg yolk). Was that an unfertilized ova, or a "slug"? Or is there a difference?
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Richard.C » Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 am

Yep susann,id say that was a slug

And sounds like with in season sperm storage to,very interesting,and worth thinking about for others trying to unravel there secrets

Babies seem spot on timing wise for dry season droppers,though 6.5 to 7 months gestation reaks of late wetseason maters,be interesting to see if xyla drops to then

Do you know the exact dates you saw matings,i wonder if there window may extend with cooling in the middle

Gigas seem to mate all over the place but not many have babies,so its good to look at what little success there is and see if theres any patterns worth noting

Not tiliqua related but for some reason my gidgee skinks only want to mate in the lead up to brumation,right now,lol,which is odd for a temperate species,no babies from them,i get worried ill brumate and she may be gravid,this year though there getting shut right down though

Fingers crossed on xyla
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: Meraukes!

Postby UroFreak13 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:19 am

Scotts1au wrote:Too much typing, not enough photos :lol:

Hahahahhaha i agree less typy more pictures
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Susann » Wed May 22, 2013 8:55 am

I'm sorry Valley Reptiles, I didn't realize I was I your thread! My previous post should have gone in my own thread.......

Hey, those are some good looking Meraukes you've got there!
Must be from one heck of a breeder :wink: :roll:
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Scincoides
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1900
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona

Re: Meraukes!

Postby Scincoides » Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 am

Haha no worries Mrs Thread thief! Lol and yeah the new meraukes are pretty stunning. Almost worth flying to Utah to hug the breeder. Wish I could remember who that lady was who sold em to me...
Austin & Danielle
12.28.12 Northerns
4.6.2 Kei Island
12.6.2 Meraukes
3.4.8 Irian Jayas
2.5.3 Easterns
1.2 Halmahera
1.1 Indonesian
2.3 Tanimbar
0.0.1 Blotched
1.0 Egernia Striolata
1.1 Egernia Cunninghami
1.1 Egernia C. Krefti
1.2 Bellatorias frerei
1.1 H. Gerrardii

http://www.scincoides.com

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests