New Arrival
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Lea
- Patron Saint of Blueys

- Posts: 4261
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: New Arrival
A PM to Jeff to apologise might be in order. Think before you speak, little guy.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: New Arrival
also kims a male,not a female
they arent hard to breed,but totally different to other tiliqua,these guys will be quite active if u brumate them like northerns,they need a full on cool down
different even to easterns which share much of there range
they arent hard to breed,but totally different to other tiliqua,these guys will be quite active if u brumate them like northerns,they need a full on cool down
different even to easterns which share much of there range
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: New Arrival
I wasnt trying to be rude i just meant how much does this species go for, maybe one day i would have gotten one.
- Lea
- Patron Saint of Blueys

- Posts: 4261
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: New Arrival
UroFreak13 wrote:I wasnt trying to be rude i just meant how much does this species go for, maybe one day i would have gotten one.
It's not so much the question, which can be answered at will, it was the disclosure of information that really is up to the buyer.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
- Scotts1au
- Great Scott

- Posts: 4362
- Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
- Country:
- Location: Central Victoria, Australia
Re: New Arrival
They can be frustrating, as they can look mature but not want to mate until the third year or so, I'll be interested to see how you go.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: New Arrival
LeaBilby wrote: A PM to Jeff to apologise might be in order. Think before you speak, little guy.
Sent, I'm sorry, I didn't realize people kept this privately.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: New Arrival
LeaBilby wrote:UroFreak13 wrote:I wasnt trying to be rude i just meant how much does this species go for, maybe one day i would have gotten one.
It's not so much the question, which can be answered at will, it was the disclosure of information that really is up to the buyer.
Yes, it wasn't rude to ask the question - it was the person speaking for someone else. But it is fine to ask the question, it is up to the buyer whether or not they want to answer. But Lea was not directing her comments at you, you did nothing wrong.
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: New Arrival
I believe she was talkig to me, i did
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: New Arrival
Katrina wrote:LeaBilby wrote:UroFreak13 wrote:I wasnt trying to be rude i just meant how much does this species go for, maybe one day i would have gotten one.
It's not so much the question, which can be answered at will, it was the disclosure of information that really is up to the buyer.
Yes, it wasn't rude to ask the question - it was the person speaking for someone else. But it is fine to ask the question, it is up to the buyer whether or not they want to answer. But Lea was not directing her comments at you, you did nothing wrong.
Totally my fault.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: New Arrival
It's ok - learning experience.
Just remember for future not to answer for others!
- Lauriek
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: New Arrival
Congratulations on the new arrival ! Gorgeous colouring.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: New Arrival
Wow, I wasn't on the forum for a few hours, and come back to 2 pages of drama.
I will give my opinion about the types of questions that are appropriatte too ask based on my experience in dealing with rare/expensive reptiles.
It is generally not appropriate to ask on a public thread, "How much did you pay for that?". That's not really a reptile thing, that's just not good manners. I personally don't get offended by that, but trust me, many people in the reptile community definitely do, and you can permanently damage your reputation with them by asking that kind of question. It would be much more polite to send a private pm or email to ask that kind of personal question. You still won't get an answer from many people, but in most cases they will be MUCH less offended being asked privately than publically.
As far as answering the question that was asked of someone else, to me it has two parts. First, the polite thing to do would be to wait and give the person who was asked the time to answer the question or make it clear that they prefer to not answer. Answering the question immediately,, again, is bad manners. If after an appropriate amount of time goes by and the person who was asked the question has not responded in any way, then it is possible to answer politely, IF you actually possess acurate information, and are very careful to word your response correctly.
In a case like in this thread, it would never be reasonable to say, "They cost $______ ". The fact is, no one but Kim and I, and anyone that we may have told privately knows how much I paid for this skink. A less inapropriate response would be something like, "I have no way of knowing how much this animal sold for, but I looked into getting one last month, and found one offered for $_____".
I am in no way offended by anyone in this thread, but at the same time I would never answer a question like the one asked, publically. I am only responding to this in this way in hopes of shedding some light on the fact that there is definitely a code of etiquette among serious reptile keepers/breeders. Many of these people are extremely private and secretive. If you communicate with them as though they are your BFF, you will likely be viewed by them as an abnoxious twig, and they are likely to remember that even years later. That might not be right or fair, but it is the reality of things. More than one person has missed out on the opportunity to purchase the animal of their dreams because the person selling it refused to sell it to them due to a previous faux pas.
I will give my opinion about the types of questions that are appropriatte too ask based on my experience in dealing with rare/expensive reptiles.It is generally not appropriate to ask on a public thread, "How much did you pay for that?". That's not really a reptile thing, that's just not good manners. I personally don't get offended by that, but trust me, many people in the reptile community definitely do, and you can permanently damage your reputation with them by asking that kind of question. It would be much more polite to send a private pm or email to ask that kind of personal question. You still won't get an answer from many people, but in most cases they will be MUCH less offended being asked privately than publically.
As far as answering the question that was asked of someone else, to me it has two parts. First, the polite thing to do would be to wait and give the person who was asked the time to answer the question or make it clear that they prefer to not answer. Answering the question immediately,, again, is bad manners. If after an appropriate amount of time goes by and the person who was asked the question has not responded in any way, then it is possible to answer politely, IF you actually possess acurate information, and are very careful to word your response correctly.
In a case like in this thread, it would never be reasonable to say, "They cost $______ ". The fact is, no one but Kim and I, and anyone that we may have told privately knows how much I paid for this skink. A less inapropriate response would be something like, "I have no way of knowing how much this animal sold for, but I looked into getting one last month, and found one offered for $_____".
I am in no way offended by anyone in this thread, but at the same time I would never answer a question like the one asked, publically. I am only responding to this in this way in hopes of shedding some light on the fact that there is definitely a code of etiquette among serious reptile keepers/breeders. Many of these people are extremely private and secretive. If you communicate with them as though they are your BFF, you will likely be viewed by them as an abnoxious twig, and they are likely to remember that even years later. That might not be right or fair, but it is the reality of things. More than one person has missed out on the opportunity to purchase the animal of their dreams because the person selling it refused to sell it to them due to a previous faux pas.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: New Arrival
All I can say is I am extremely jealous! I have about 50 chicks I'd trade you for it!
Brad
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: New Arrival
Jeff wrote:Wow, I wasn't on the forum for a few hours, and come back to 2 pages of drama.I will give my opinion about the types of questions that are appropriatte too ask based on my experience in dealing with rare/expensive reptiles.
It is generally not appropriate to ask on a public thread, "How much did you pay for that?". That's not really a reptile thing, that's just not good manners. I personally don't get offended by that, but trust me, many people in the reptile community definitely do, and you can permanently damage your reputation with them by asking that kind of question. It would be much more polite to send a private pm or email to ask that kind of personal question. You still won't get an answer from many people, but in most cases they will be MUCH less offended being asked privately than publically.
A far as answering the question that was asked of someone else, to me it has two parts. First, the polite thing to do would be to wait and give the person who was asked the time to answer the question or make it clear that they prefer to not answer. Answering the question immediately,, again, is bad manners. If after an appropriate amount of time goes by and the person who was asked the question has not responded in any way, then it is possible to answer politely, IF you actually possess acurate information, and are very careful to word your response correctly.
In a case like in this thread, it would never be reasonable to say, "They cost $______ ". The fact is, no one but Kim and I, and anyone that we may have told privately knows how much I paid for this skink. A less inapropriate response would be something like, "I have no way of knowing how much this animal sold for, but I looked into getting one last month, and found one offered for $_____".
I am in no way offended by anyone in this thread, but at the same time I would never answer a question like the one asked, publically. I am only responding to this in this way in hopes of shedding some light on the fact that there is definitely a code of etiquette among serious reptile keepers/breeders. Many of these people are extremely private and secretive. If you communicate with them as though they are your BFF, you will likely be viewed by them as an abnoxious twig, and they are likely to remember that even years later. That might not be right or fair, but it is the reality of things. More than one person has missed out on the opportunity to purchase the animal of their dreams because the person selling it refused to sell it to them due to a previous faux pas.
So you paid the $1500 for it?

Brad
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: New Arrival
I thought it would have to be very expensive. I have never previously seen such patterning on a Merauke.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: New Arrival
El Lobo wrote:I thought it would have to be very expensive. I have never previously seen such patterning on a Merauke.
That morph of Merauke goes for at least $1500
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: New Arrival
1600 each in canada if they have a dash of eastern in them to,so ive heard,from a friend of a friends friend whom heard it from else where
scott the yearling lass i got from u was knocked up at by 18 months ,thats the earliest ive ever had blotchies drop,but i grow them super slow compared to you guys,usually around 5 before mine have babies
scott the yearling lass i got from u was knocked up at by 18 months ,thats the earliest ive ever had blotchies drop,but i grow them super slow compared to you guys,usually around 5 before mine have babies
-
tgcorley
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 21
- Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 pm
- Country:
- Location: SE Pennsylvania
Re: New Arrival
Whoa -- that is one sweet acquisition, Jeff! Congratulations. I hope he/she thrives and makes lots of little blotchies (so I can buy one when I retire in a few years!).
Cheers,
Tom
Cheers,
Tom
-
kl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts
Re: New Arrival
Why the opinion about it being a male?
KL
KL
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: New Arrival
kl wrote:Why the opinion about it being a male?
KL
That's just my strong impression from looking at it Kim. I'm going off the overall shape and proportions of the head, body, and tail. I'm certainly no expert on visually sexing them yet, but that's what it looks like to me. Either way I love him though! You are producing beautiful blotchies.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 322 guests
