New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Hazeee wrote:Male on the left, female on the right
Can anyone identify their locality?
Image


Indonesia, or PNG.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Hazeee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:27 pm

ReptileKing wrote:Unfortunately you have Irian javas, not northerns. Beautiful though


Should I keep the humidity higher for IJ's? I don't really care about the locality as they all look nice, I'd just been upset if they were both different.
IchliebeTiere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby IchliebeTiere » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Hazee, here is the link to a post about favorite foods that mentions dog & cat food
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22411
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Very nice looking pair of IJs.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Katrina » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Very nice!

But sold as a pair of Northerns?? :nono:
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Hazeee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Katrina wrote:Very nice!

But sold as a pair of Northerns?? :nono:


I traded a CB 12 Sunglow boa for the pair, he got them from his brother who told him they were Northerns.

I don't really mind as they're all similar. The only reason I would have cared is if they were different sub species.

Do IJ's need more humidity at all?

Also that picture doesn't show their colors at all, my phone settings were a bit off and they literally burrow all day so they're covered in substrate.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Katrina » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm

IJs generally don't need more humidity. Just see how they do for the first few sheds - if there is no issues, don't worry.

That's good - I thought it was a breeder / importer selling them. A friend who doesn't know species is more understandable than someone who sells for a living. Still not good but not at all uncommon!
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Hazeee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:17 pm

Katrina wrote:IJs generally don't need more humidity. Just see how they do for the first few sheds - if there is no issues, don't worry.

That's good - I thought it was a breeder / importer selling them. A friend who doesn't know species is more understandable than someone who sells for a living. Still not good but not at all uncommon!


They have all their toes and no tail nips with decent attitudes so I'm going to assume they're not WC.

I've left food out but they haven't really attempted to bask at all or eat they're just hiding out.

And when they shed will I see the shed so I know to check their toes or will they eat it?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Katrina » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:26 pm

If you don't see shed stuck to them then they are shedding well and humidity is fine! :D You'll see the shed. And you'll know if issues arise - it takes months of bad sheds to lose toes so you'll notice if you're giving them proper care. :D
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Hazeee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Katrina wrote:If you don't see shed stuck to them then they are shedding well and humidity is fine! :D You'll see the shed. And you'll know if issues arise - it takes months of bad sheds to lose toes so you'll notice if you're giving them proper care. :D


Ah alright that's good to hear, I think I've spent the most on my skinks out of any reptile.. I sold off my humidity gauges when I got rid of my snakes but I'm going to get a new one soon. My surface temps are 72 at night and 76-80 during the day with basking at 98-102 so I'm thinking my husbandry is good so far.

I also bought Kale, Broccoli, Carrots, Bell Pepper and Mustard greens to make a mixed diet that I will lightly blend and mix with calcium/multi vitamin powder. I'm hoping they will eat tomorrow!
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Scotts1au » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I remember seeing photos of what was named as T.gigas from Papua New Guinea that look just like those. Think less lowland or island form - i.e T.gigas and more as IJ - so away from the coast probably central Irian Jaya - they could pass as Easterns in Aus. :lol:
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Hazeee » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Scotts1au wrote:I remember seeing photos of what was named as T.gigas from Papua New Guinea that look just like those. Think less lowland or island form - i.e T.gigas and more as IJ - so away from the coast probably central Irian Jaya - they could pass as Easterns in Aus. :lol:


Only difference I really see is my skinks have big heads.
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Linnea » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:55 am

nice IJ's! :D
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
UroFreak13
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
Country:
Location: Montreal,Canada

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby UroFreak13 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 am

I was told broccoli was bad due to the fact that it impairs calcium intake, is this true
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Katrina » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:29 pm

UroFreak13 wrote:I was told broccoli was bad due to the fact that it impairs calcium intake, is this true


Any members for the brassica family are high in goitrogens - you shouldn't feed them excessively or exclusively, but they are fine to throw in in moderation for variety. See the diet chart for recommendations on how often to feed certain veggies / greens. Goitrogens affect the thyroid. It is oxalates that bind calcium.
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Hazeee » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:03 am

Image

Are you guys sure they're both IJ's?

This is a picture from before I got them and they started getting dirty with substrate.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 am

Those are two very definite IJs, no question there. I really love the closest one in this new photo, but they're both gorgeous :)
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Spindown » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:49 pm

WOW those are some pretty IJ's!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Re: New Blue Tongue Skinks!

Postby Zach » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:58 pm

Irian Jaya for sure!

And welcome.

:cool:

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 323 guests