At least this is a learning experience with reptile vets and BTS!
There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
Thanks everyone for your input. I hope that the swelling will go down then if it was just something careless he did like biting something he shouldn't have.
I will continue to watch it and if it gets uncomfortably worse, I'll visit Dr. Kamaka. I will post photos again if the swelling changes. I also hope that his internal parasites will go away.
At least this is a learning experience with reptile vets and BTS!
At least this is a learning experience with reptile vets and BTS!

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
yeah, the dishwashing liquid sounds wierd, I'd personally try and do a soak with diluted Betadine if I was that worried about it. Betadine is like Iodine (or is, I'm not quite sure on that), and is usually safe for reptiles. I know many use Betadine to help with irritated scales around the lips (for when they get dirt or food stuck on, and use it to get off the debris before mouthrot can set in) and I personally have done this with no ill results.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
SapphireTigress wrote:yeah, the dishwashing liquid sounds wierd, I'd personally try and do a soak with diluted Betadine if I was that worried about it. Betadine is like Iodine (or is, I'm not quite sure on that), and is usually safe for reptiles. I know many use Betadine to help with irritated scales around the lips (for when they get dirt or food stuck on, and use it to get off the debris before mouthrot can set in) and I personally have done this with no ill results.
Where do you get Betadine? Do you just put a little of that in water and let them soak?

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
Betadine can be found walmart, thats where i got mine, in the pharmaceutical department. Its a brown liquid. I've been told to dilute it to a nice "iced tea" color (not an exact measurement, ugh) and dab on the lip (or affected area). I'm not sure what the dilution is for the bath since i've only used in on the lips.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
Just re-reading the thread I notice the vet diagnosed trichomonas which may be why metronidazole was prescribed. Trichomonas is an anaerobic protozoan (which I suggested in an earlier post to be a possibility). Being anaerobic, metronidazole would seem to be a good choice of abx. The only odd thing is trichomonas is an STD. 
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
El Lobo wrote:Just re-reading the thread I notice the vet diagnosed trichomonas which may be why metronidazole was prescribed. Trichomonas is an anaerobic protozoan (which I suggested in an earlier post to be a possibility). Being anaerobic, metronidazole would seem to be a good choice of abx. The only odd thing is trichomonas is an STD.
An STD?
Sapphire: Thanks for info.

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
So an update on Kupo's lip scales. It looks exactly how it has been, still swelled and sticking out like that. The CRAZY thing is, it's beginning to start on the other side of his face too!
Same area, symmetrically! So now he has that older swelling on one side, and the other side is beginning to swell up too. It's almost like he has wisdom teeth and both sides are swelling up. Sigh.
I'm taking him to vet this Saturday, a different vet. To check both his weird lip scale swelling and fecal. I hope they will finally offer insight.
I'm taking him to vet this Saturday, a different vet. To check both his weird lip scale swelling and fecal. I hope they will finally offer insight.

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Edward
- Carpe diem

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:07 am
- Country: U.S.A.
- Location: Texas
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
Please keep us updated. I'm very interested to hear what the new vet will advise on the lips.
(The swelling was not caused by internal parasites. Of that, I am sure.)
(The swelling was not caused by internal parasites. Of that, I am sure.)
Nemo me impune lacessit.
- Lunaire
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 165
- Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:47 am
- Country:
- Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
I just got back from the vet and I am SO happy!
After about 3 weeks of force-feeding him medication he is finally, parasite free. I swear I held my breath when the vet came in with the results.
I was afraid he was not entirely in the clear, and had to be put on a second set of medication.
SapphireTigress: Thank you SO much for recommending Kamaka. She made me feel so much more comfortable with how she handled Kupo.
As for his lip, the vet checked his lip and scales thoroughly (and I got to watch everything this time!) and she said there were no signs of pus/infection. She also said his gums looked good. She believes it was accidentally self-inflicted by Kupo and brought up something interesting; she asked if his first lip swelling happened around the time he shed. Because his 2nd lip swelling on the other side happened just two days ago, right when he started shedding. She says he might have rubbed his face scales too hard and harmed his lip hence the swelling. All in all, no infection and the swelling should go down in time, and if not, it should not be harmful.
I finally could put him back in his home, he was living on paper towels for almost a month and he looks happier now.
SapphireTigress: Thank you SO much for recommending Kamaka. She made me feel so much more comfortable with how she handled Kupo.
As for his lip, the vet checked his lip and scales thoroughly (and I got to watch everything this time!) and she said there were no signs of pus/infection. She also said his gums looked good. She believes it was accidentally self-inflicted by Kupo and brought up something interesting; she asked if his first lip swelling happened around the time he shed. Because his 2nd lip swelling on the other side happened just two days ago, right when he started shedding. She says he might have rubbed his face scales too hard and harmed his lip hence the swelling. All in all, no infection and the swelling should go down in time, and if not, it should not be harmful.
I finally could put him back in his home, he was living on paper towels for almost a month and he looks happier now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kupo ~ Northern Blue Tongue Skink
<name pending> ~ Piebald Ball Python
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
I'm glad the vet visit went well for you
Great job on looking after him!
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- iLoveMyLizard
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: United Kingdom
Re: There's a slight swelling on lip. I'm worried. (Photos)
Very good news. Kupo is a very good, healthy looking skink (albeit his lip did look swolen). His enclosure looks very good too, and I bet finding out he is all clear felt good!
Glad your happy and glad your skink is well. Its good to see people worry, because it shows they care
Well done for visting a vet. Well, two, and im sure you will be taking good care of him 
Glad your happy and glad your skink is well. Its good to see people worry, because it shows they care
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 161 guests
