Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:02 am

Katrina wrote:Welcome!! :D

They can look much bigger depending on how they are lying, so if you are just thinking it has gained a lot of weight by looking at it, it probably is just a different position or more flattened. Do you have a scale you can weigh it with to see if there is noticeable weight gain?

It looks pretty young and has no signs of biting around the neck / shoulders so I would think it isn't pregnant. If it is young, they can put on weight quite quickly. :D


Thank you! :D

I know, and that's why I've been observing him when he moves around, and there's no doubt in the fact that he's quite a bit fatter now. :) He's not just flattening out when lying down, he has put on quite a lot of body mass. Unfortunately I don't have a scale that would work.. He is 1.5 years old.
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:08 am

Richard.C wrote:a wise answer,bout all you can do i guess
with the pet shop food that was left over,always the chance conditions werent right for them to want to eat,or they turned there noses up at it,some pet shops are shocking for not heating them enough,not sure they are like that there though,or not feeding them stuff they like or want,eg bird food

which would explain it chowing down food for you since being home :p


They didn't have a basking spot or any kind of heat coming from above from what I could see. Just regular lighting. So I guess it could just be the fact that he's eating better now. He seems to enjoy his environment now and there's been a huge change in him since the first day, the little hissing skink who hid away for two full days when he got here is now comfortable enough around me to come right up to me and climb over the edge of his enclosure. :D

They hadn't been handled at all, the pet store at least admitted that much. The girl at the shop didn't even want to handle them at all, we had to examine them ourselves and even take him out and put him in the box when I had made up my mind about buying him.
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Posting some new pics... What should I do? He has appetite and eats one meal every day. And he's getting fatter by the day. :shock:
Should I hold back a little on the food, even though he isn't over eating, or should I keep on feeding him like I do? I don't know what to do here.. :?

Also, found some marks on his scales on the side, but maybe it's nothing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 pm

Looks like a lot of the pregnant skink I've seen :D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Looks like a lot of the pregnant skink I've seen :D


Yeah, but it's so weird.. He moves in here and bam, he gets this fat in like 2,5 weeks? :?
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Richard.C » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:25 pm

what size meal do u feed it ,everyday feeding is alot,but depending on how much you give,im assuming not heaps though,as still eating ever day,what exactly do u feed him,actually he could be a she,lol,babies or not,definatly has puffed up quick compared to first pic,still think possaqbly just its regular meals and proper heating,but could be gravid to,so maybe a complex mix of things and a lining up of the zodiac
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Richard.C wrote:what size meal do u feed it ,everyday feeding is alot,but depending on how much you give,im assuming not heaps though,as still eating ever day,what exactly do u feed him,actually he could be a she,lol,babies or not,definatly has puffed up quick compared to first pic,still think possaqbly just its regular meals and proper heating,but could be gravid to,so maybe a complex mix of things and a lining up of the zodiac


I've been feeding him what he got at the pet shop, until now. It's posted earlier in the thread. (He's going on a diet change asap.) But still, since he's getting what he got earlier and he's not eating all that much, though he has a good appetite, it's kind of weird that he's putting out this much. He eats like half of what I put in (and that's not much according to me) maybe 5-6 bites and then he leaves the rest.

The big question is, should I reduce the food or let him eat? If he's fat, I definitely should, but I can't be sure that he's not gravid either?...
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Richard.C » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:57 pm

5 or 6 mouthfuls a day is a bit,build that over a week,nothing wrong with feeding every day either,its actually probably more natural to eat a little every day than to eat heaps once or twice a week,id say keep feeding it,maybe cut back a little if it gets noticablly fatter
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm

That really looks gravid to me. It's not fat in the same places I'd expect to see one that was simply overweight. No promises though. I would keep up the feeding, at least for the next couple weeks. Make sure to dust with calcium+D3 if you can. And I would remove those little chips and put down something more sanitary in the case of babies popping (paper towels/towels).
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Fatal_S wrote:That really looks gravid to me. It's not fat in the same places I'd expect to see one that was simply overweight. No promises though. I would keep up the feeding, at least for the next couple weeks. Make sure to dust with calcium+D3 if you can. And I would remove those little chips and put down something more sanitary in the case of babies popping (paper towels/towels).


Thank you both for your answers.. I'll keep feeding him the way I've been doing for now (with a diet change though) and see what happens.

Fatal_S: I dust his food with CalviRep VIT D3+
Okay, thank you for the tip! Better be prepared...
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:46 am

You're probably all getting tired of my gravid-or-not questions by now :wink: But I came across some pictures here at BTS and I saw a resemblance between this skink and my own. (Pink T. Monkey - I hope it was ok to borrow your pictures)

This bulginess of the lower part of the belly, is it a sign of a gravid skink or could a fat skink look like this to? My pictures aren't the best, just took what I had in my phone atm, they're a few weeks old. (S)he has a really bulky lower belly.

I've had him/her for 11 weeks now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:18 am

I sorta use that to determine if a skink is male or female.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Susann » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Was she this big when you got her? Or has she grown a lot lately? Could we see some pictures of her when she was new to you, to compare?

(Jag är föresten en med-Svensk :wink: fast jag bor i USA, om du vill skicka mig privat meddelande går det bra.)
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Richard.C » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Does look gravid,if not its a big fatty boomba,lol,in the northern hemisphere baby season is just stsrting in earnest,any time from late may to september depending on when they cycle

The wait continues ,its always ten times longer when u have to wait,lol
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:50 am

Richard.C wrote:Does look gravid,if not its a big fatty boomba,lol,in the northern hemisphere baby season is just stsrting in earnest,any time from late may to september depending on when they cycle

The wait continues ,its always ten times longer when u have to wait,lol


I have a shed coming up again any day now, so hopefully something happens after this. (S)he really looks gravid, and the heavy breathing is still there, for a few weeks it changed into small, fast breaths at times, but now I've noticed it coming back again. Eats every third day now. She was hidden away for almost 2 days until last night, and when she came out she looked fatter and bulkier than ever.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Richard.C » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Showing all the signs of gravidity,they often get restless late term,breathing changes alot like u have witnessed,though they often slow down the eating late term,more just a nibble here and there,though some can woof right through to,not the norm though
Morgans
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 7:54 pm
Country:
Location: United States

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Morgans » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Wow what a weird case.... I really have nothing to place as far as an opinion on whats going on but I am curious to see what comes of it all. I hope (s)he is going to be okay.
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:33 am

Richard: Still has a good appetite though, asks for food every third day. She's learned to stand up and scratch on the glass when she's hungry, and she does that about every third day. Very inactive these past days, but I'm guessing it's the shedding coming up. She was inactive the days before last time as well.

Morgans: It is, never thought this would happen when I bought the skink from a pet store. If anything does happen, that is. :) I'll keep updating...
User avatar
iLoveMyLizard
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:15 pm
Country:
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby iLoveMyLizard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:10 am

Keep returning to this thread to see progress, your skink deffinitely looks preggers :lol:
1.0.0 Irian Jaya - Sid
User avatar
Buddy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:02 am
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Gravid or really fast weight gain?

Postby Buddy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:16 am

iLoveMyLizard wrote:Keep returning to this thread to see progress, your skink deffinitely looks preggers :lol:


Trust me, if the babies come, everyone here will know it! :mrgreen: I'm so looking forward to them now, so if this is just a fat little skink, I'll actually be kinda disappointed. :|

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 175 guests