Chai, this skink does have a very Eastern look, especially the face. While I agree it's a Tanny it had me looking at it for a while trying to decide what was setting off my ID-alarms.
Biting like that is pretty much taste-testing. I get it a lot if I let my skinks get too comfortable while I'm relaxing. They especially love toes...
New BTS Age Unknown
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
supersnakeman101
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 319
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm
- Country:
- Location: columbea sc
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
ya don't jump to Conclusions they will calm down
united we stand divided we fall
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING !
1.0 merauke
P.S i am all over the place sometimes with my post... and sometimes my spelling is bad so just bare with me on that
this is your WARNING !
1.0 merauke
-
AOTP
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:31 pm
- Country:
- Location: England
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
Yeah I'm more than willing to put the effort in to tame it more or humanize it as they say. I tend to have it out several times a day if it decides to wander over and climb out by itself, I just hate the thought of not making any progress =(
- phaemas
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 550
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am
- Country:
- Location: winnipeg,manitoba, canada
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
verrrry pretty skinker!
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
can take a bit of time,maybe try offering it treats so it assciates you with getting goodies,doesnt sound its scared of you,so thats a great start
-
AOTP
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:31 pm
- Country:
- Location: England
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
So far hasnt eaten anything, it had locusts sat on its face and didnt move, offered it everything on the reccomended food list hasnt touched anything. Its tried to eat me, my keyboard and the glass window of the viv when im sat near it though. . no its not scared of me but no i am of it, its a mean sucker,
Im under the impression the reptile shop had the temp low to make oit docile
Im under the impression the reptile shop had the temp low to make oit docile
- critterguy
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 702
- Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
- Country:
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
If you haven't tried a piece of chicken-pref. soaked in broth, a live superworm, or a pat of banana-those are worth a try. Looks to have plenty of wait so don't fret if she doesn't eat.
- PlinkoPachinko
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 113
- Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Contact:
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
Wow, what a gorgeous skink!
Every skink has a different personality. Just because Tanis are known for being aggressive, doesn't mean that yours has to be. I have a northern, and he's bitten me like 5 times now! Most of it is my own fault, but a couple times have been taste tests just like you described. The bites are startling, but don't really hurt that bad, and it's certainly not a reason to return the skink.
I personally would be excited that it's coming out on its own to lay next to you! I can barely get Plinko to move sometimes, and he never leaves his cage on his own. He also hides when he sees me coming, but will snuggle with me when I take him out.
Your skink is really beautiful, I bet he'll make a great pet!
Every skink has a different personality. Just because Tanis are known for being aggressive, doesn't mean that yours has to be. I have a northern, and he's bitten me like 5 times now! Most of it is my own fault, but a couple times have been taste tests just like you described. The bites are startling, but don't really hurt that bad, and it's certainly not a reason to return the skink.
I personally would be excited that it's coming out on its own to lay next to you! I can barely get Plinko to move sometimes, and he never leaves his cage on his own. He also hides when he sees me coming, but will snuggle with me when I take him out.
Your skink is really beautiful, I bet he'll make a great pet!
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Re: New BTS Age Unknown
AOTP wrote:Thats just great, I consider phoning the shop and returning him, thats the seccond time this shop has sold me a reptile claiming they dont know what it is and I find out its agressive type. Last time they sold me a Black and white tegu, when I got it home and took to my vets for a once over he said it was colombian and to take it back. . . .most dissapointed!
Don't panic. From what I've been told the hardest-to-tame species of Blue Tongues is the Kei Island BTS. Ironically I was talking to Melissa Coakley (the President of The Suncoast Herpetological Society) today and she showed me a very tame Columbian Black and White Tegu and told me that she has another tame one at home. I was shocked because I had always been told to stay away from the Columbians as well.
Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 359 guests
