Will this heal
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Guys - this has been going on for 4 months now. No need to panic the owner, the skink has lived with it for months.
I can't really tell, but it looks mostly healed to me. Like scar tissue, not open infected wound. Is there any discharge at all? Is any of it still open? Or does it look like scar tissue?
It isn't something that will ever heal 'back to new' kind of thing, but like Helikaon said - they can heal wounds very well, as in recover from a wound so that it is no longer and open sore.
I can't really tell, but it looks mostly healed to me. Like scar tissue, not open infected wound. Is there any discharge at all? Is any of it still open? Or does it look like scar tissue?
It isn't something that will ever heal 'back to new' kind of thing, but like Helikaon said - they can heal wounds very well, as in recover from a wound so that it is no longer and open sore.
Last edited by Katrina on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
I just noticed you said you have had him for 4 months. So that probably WAS a scratch, that got infected, and now, 4 months later, looks like that. The breeder is not responsible for this. If you send him pictures, I believe the only thing the breeder can offer is to take the skink back to get him treatment.
You really need to find a way to get him some professional veterinary care.
You really need to find a way to get him some professional veterinary care.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Just curious, have you notified Matt prior to the email you just sent him?
I dont know if I would continue the topical antibiotic. Not sure if keeping it moist would be the best for it. Obviously, I recommend a vet visit as well.
Edit: Just call around to local vets. Many would be willing to provide advice over the phone if possible. With todays technology, they probably have an email address or website that you can contact and see if they would take a look at the pics. Ask if visit would be recommended or if it can just be treated at home with OTC medications.
I dont know if I would continue the topical antibiotic. Not sure if keeping it moist would be the best for it. Obviously, I recommend a vet visit as well.
Edit: Just call around to local vets. Many would be willing to provide advice over the phone if possible. With todays technology, they probably have an email address or website that you can contact and see if they would take a look at the pics. Ask if visit would be recommended or if it can just be treated at home with OTC medications.
Last edited by Bird_Brain on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Vet costs are so very different, there's no way to say. Other than calling around. I'm in Utah, I pay between $35-$50 for the visit. Any procedures and medication would be on top of that.
Start calling around. You will notice that as many vets as there are, few of them are specialized herpetologists.
Start calling around. You will notice that as many vets as there are, few of them are specialized herpetologists.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
There is no discharge coming from the wound. It's just scar tissue. This is my first BTS. I was going with what he said that it would heal within a few sheds. He's only shed a couple of times since I had him. But now after like I'm pretty sure he's on his third shed I said to myself this isn't going away and he's gonna have this marking probably for life. This upset's me since I paid $200 for what I thought was going to be a flawless skink. There was no talk about possible infection or taking him to a vet or anything. Just it will heal. So...idk just upset. Live and learn I guess.
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
I don't want to assume it is fine based on only a couple pictures and no veterinary training... but if it is just scar tissue with no worsening, no reddness or tenderness and no discharge of any kind... then I would assume that the damage has healed as well as it is going to.
At this point polysporin won't help. If you aren't certain that it is completely healed and infection free then definitely see if you can talk to a vet and get a second opinion. But from what I see, it seems like it is healed and so a vet won't help and polysporin won't help - it might get a bit better with time, but it is pretty well healed up.
I wouldn't blame Matt Tiegen just yet - we don't know the full story, although that is a pretty substantial 'scratch'. It is tough when you are a brand new owner and not sure what is normal.
Let Matt know and give him a chance to respond. If the skink has been eating and growing for 4 months then while the wound on the head will never heal back to perfect, it should still make a great pet.
At this point polysporin won't help. If you aren't certain that it is completely healed and infection free then definitely see if you can talk to a vet and get a second opinion. But from what I see, it seems like it is healed and so a vet won't help and polysporin won't help - it might get a bit better with time, but it is pretty well healed up.
I wouldn't blame Matt Tiegen just yet - we don't know the full story, although that is a pretty substantial 'scratch'. It is tough when you are a brand new owner and not sure what is normal.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
poor skink, no animal deserves that! at least from the sounds and looks of it, its mostly healed now? if your not sure, vet time is a good idea.
Katrinas right though, despite this craziness, he will still be an awesome pet. At least he has someone to love him/her now.
Katrinas right though, despite this craziness, he will still be an awesome pet. At least he has someone to love him/her now.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
- Helikaon
- Patternless Pursuit

- Posts: 665
- Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:15 am
- Country:
- Location: qld Australia
Overly that wound looks pretty good, it is a large wound but you can clearly see healthy granulation tissue, if it is eating growing and shedding fine then i would not be worried about that, it will take a good year to heal though as it has gone fully through the dermal layer, you will be surprised how it will look in the future over time it will become smaller and hopefully regain many of the missing scales, looks more like a good burn then a scratch that got infected.
Be The Rat!!!
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Matt's reply:
I'm sorry to see that. It's very interesting, as I've never saw a little scratch like that get worse on a reptile before. My best advice would be to apply a triple antibiotic ointment (such as neosporin) on and around it. Use a qtip or some gloves when you apply it. Also be sure that when it sheds, it sheds completely, in the pictures it looks like some scales around the wound need to be peeled off. Be sure to use a wet qtip or moist towel to rub them off gently. This clean up should improve and speed up recovery.
I will give it time to heal. As long as he will be ok. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking. I'm going to give it time.
I'm sorry to see that. It's very interesting, as I've never saw a little scratch like that get worse on a reptile before. My best advice would be to apply a triple antibiotic ointment (such as neosporin) on and around it. Use a qtip or some gloves when you apply it. Also be sure that when it sheds, it sheds completely, in the pictures it looks like some scales around the wound need to be peeled off. Be sure to use a wet qtip or moist towel to rub them off gently. This clean up should improve and speed up recovery.
I will give it time to heal. As long as he will be ok. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking. I'm going to give it time.
-
BlueTonugeBalPython
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 46
- Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 pm
- Country:
- Location: Johnsburg IL
I bought my BTS Tank From Matt And My Transaction was amazing... he wouldn't ship it to me because it was too hot out, gave me pointers.... and everything else... now im not saying your didn't get a bad BTS.... but from my experiences... hes a amazing breeder of not only BTS but snakes Too
---1--- Irian Jaya Named "Tank"
- wrath
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 65
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:21 pm
- Country:
- Location: FL
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 336 guests
