Postby Susann » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 pm
Red Ink, I LOVE the rock hide!
And look at you Aussies making your own awesome enclosures, I'm way impressed!
May I ask what that white square is on the back wall?
Yes, StaceyLeigh, mine are Showcase Cages. Which is why I call them cages when they really aren't cages.
These are smaller than the two I got in May. The previous two I ordered without really understanding how LARGE they were! These three are much more reasonably sized, but surprisingly I find myself preferring the larger two....
Pros and cons with both.
*60 X 24 X 24
PROS
*They look SWEET!
*Lots of room for hides, decorations, and moving around, for both me AND the skinks.
*I like the wells for lamps and raised UTH areas on both ends of the cages.
*I like the height. It may seem like wasted space, but the fact that you get quite a bit of room between the bottom of the lamp wells and the bottom of the cage, actually allows for easier heating of the entire cage, and still allows for a reasonably hot basking area right underneath the well.
*Keeps humidity well for Meraukes.
CONS
*Take up a LOT of space.
*I can only stack max. two on top of each other without having to use a stepping-stool to reach the top one.
*Wish they had a couple of small air-intake vents on the sides.
*For now I use both UTH and CHE to heat. I will in the future figure out how to get the right temps without the UTH because of their high failure rate.
*48 X 24 X 18
PROS
*They look SWEET!
*Take up a much more reasonable size in a room.
*I can stack at least three on top of each other without having problems reaching.
CONS
*They only have a well and a raised UTH area on one side. I’m having a hard time heating the cages, because it’s “only” 18 inches high, the bottom of the lamp well is only about 8 inches from the substrate. To provide a basking spot that isn’t too hot, I have to use a very low Wattage lamp, then the opposite side of the cage isn’t warm enough. Still trying to figure it out.
*There’s the same amount of tank above and below the glass doors regardless of the size of the cage, so the difference in height is reflected on the height of the doors. The bigger cages are 24 inches tall, the glass doors are 16 inches tall. The smaller cages are 6 inches shorter, and it’s the doors that swallow the difference in height; they are only 10 inches tall. So the bottom cage is a bit hard to reach into; you have to get way down there.
We could have bought a higher stand, to raise the stack up a bit, but then this stack of 3 cages, which is now on a 6 inch stand, would have ended up taller than the stack of 2 cages on a 12 inch stand, and since we are planning on putting the two stacks next to each other, we had to go with a 6 inch stand to match in height.
*I do miss the extra foot of space inside the bigger cages. Does make a big difference, and I haven’t even started putting permanent stuff in them yet; still figuring out the temps, which means we’re still taking the stack apart (or at least sliding the stack out from the wall) every time we change bulbs.
Just some extra info there for anyone thinking about buying or making new terrariums.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.