Of course since I have never been to WA, I can only say what I have seen in pictures of animals from known locales. I have seen many like the last picture Acanthurus posted, and to me that looks very different from the one at Daytona. One main difference is the fact that the head is a different color than the body on the one Acanthurus posted. The one at Daytona has the same color on the head and body. Also as Acanthurus pointed out, they have a different build and scales.
I would consider the one from south of Perth to be just a typical coastal form with a nice orange head. All of the skinks I have seen that look like the one from Daytona, with that color, body shape, and scales, have been called Goldfields by the source of the pictures. I believe you guys 100% that this skink is not from within the borders of the area that the "true Goldfields" come from, but my guess is that they come from an area somewhere between the Goldfield area and Perth, and probably closer to the Goldfields.
I'm not sure if what I'm saying even makes sense to you, but I guess what I'm trying to say is; coastals are relatively common. All other forms of T.r.rugosa are EXTREMELY rare outside of Australia. I believe that the orange and white skink from Daytona is NOT a coastal form, or the result of someone breeding a coastal form to a Goldfield. My guess is that it is a naturally occuring form found in the wild that is from a locale that is neither coastal or Goldfield.
I also believe it is very important to always keep in mind what Richard said which is that they are all definitely the same species and subspecies. That being said, if we didn't know where Goldfields come from, I would honestly think they are more similar to T.r.asper than T.r.rugosa.
Goldfields at Daytona?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- acanthurus
- Rugosa Envy

- Posts: 235
- Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 am
- Country:
- Location: Perth, Western Australia
Thanks Jeff,
I would love to know where they come from as it certainly is a very nice looking shingle.
My only concern though, is that if these caramel goldfields are labelled and sold as goldfields, are they to be crossed by breeders with the true goldfields, or only bred to this caramel line?
i.e. Do the breeders of the shingle at Daytona consider them to be a different form of goldfields and therefore keep this colour pure?
I would love to know where they come from as it certainly is a very nice looking shingle.
My only concern though, is that if these caramel goldfields are labelled and sold as goldfields, are they to be crossed by breeders with the true goldfields, or only bred to this caramel line?
i.e. Do the breeders of the shingle at Daytona consider them to be a different form of goldfields and therefore keep this colour pure?
Last edited by acanthurus on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
acanthurus wrote:Thanks Jeff,
I would certainly love to know where they come from as it certainly is a very nice looking shingle.
My only concern though, is that if these caramel goldfields are labelled and sold as goldfields, are they to be crossed by breeders with the true goldfields, or only bred to this caramel line?
i.e. Do the breeders of the shingle at Daytona consider them to be a different form of goldfields and therefore keep this colour pure?
The orange and white rugosa I have seen that were labeled as Goldfields in the past were not being offered for sale. They were pictures in books etc. I have never seen either Goldfields or this other form for sale in the U.S. I have heard that four Goldfields were sold here in 2003, but I never saw those myself.
I don't know anything about the buyer or the seller of the skinks in Daytona. Of course it would be preferable to keep those two types separate and distict as they are in the wild, but since they are the same species and sub-species, AND possibly the only two rugosa with that much orange on them in the country (maybe not, but if there are more they are kept very quietly), I don't know that there is a better option than breeding the two if they will. If I had them, I would definitely be searching the world for a perfect match for each of them, and in the mean-time, breeding them to each other if they are a viable pair.
I forgot to mention, if you click on the shingleback link on the left side of the home page of this web site, there are examples of both of these two types in question.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
kl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 508
- Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:37 pm
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
I would have pair the $3k for the blue-eyed shingle in a heartbeat. Wow oh wow 

Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
there used to be reptiles australia magazine,which unfortunatly doesnt exist any more,and there is sca and scales and tails magazine which is still going strong,if u look on ebay u often see a few issues for sale,theres even been a couple of our members writing articles in them,occi did a good one on western blueys and pisces did a good one on eastern blueys
nae u might have to ask your news agency to get it in for you,they also have the usa reptiles mag and a pommy one as well,but ive noticed alot arent getting them in anymore,but if u ask they will happily get them in
nae u might have to ask your news agency to get it in for you,they also have the usa reptiles mag and a pommy one as well,but ive noticed alot arent getting them in anymore,but if u ask they will happily get them in
- Nae
- Forum Graphic Designer

- Posts: 1889
- Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
- Country:
- Location: Western Australia
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 329 guests
