Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
Thats probably why mine tend to sleep on the cooler end and prefer just to bury themselves instead of go inside their hide. I wont worry too much about it from now on then. not that ill beusing any heating on the cool end or of the nighttime at all from now on asits already getting hotter. Thank you 
-
Uly
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 60
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
So is there a temp that I should never exceed in the hot end of the tank? I.E 40c or 45c? What would be considered the low end of a dangerous Temps that might lead to death of the Bluey if it gets too hot?
It shouldn't be a problem as he has the freedom to move if he gets too hot now. I just like to keep an eye on the temps as a 35c day here in Brisbane could easily mean 50c in the tank at the hot end with the 100 watt Red light.
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted so far...as I have now learnt heaps about Blue tongue skins :-)
Uly
It shouldn't be a problem as he has the freedom to move if he gets too hot now. I just like to keep an eye on the temps as a 35c day here in Brisbane could easily mean 50c in the tank at the hot end with the 100 watt Red light.
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted so far...as I have now learnt heaps about Blue tongue skins :-)
Uly
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
Uly in hot weather best bet is shutting heating off,especially if cool end gets 30 or above,as it doesnt allow them to esxape the heat,they do fine with heating off in hot weather,even stay active and eating with out heat,as they are still quite warm from room temps
It gets quite warm up there,even at night,i couldnt even use a blanket when i lived up there,until winter was close,and winter up there is rather mild compared to here,lol
It gets quite warm up there,even at night,i couldnt even use a blanket when i lived up there,until winter was close,and winter up there is rather mild compared to here,lol
-
Uly
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 60
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
How is the best way to take this Bluey outside for some Sun? How long should I take him outside in the sun for?
I was thinking of using a 60 litre Plastic container, put a towel on the bottom & and maybe a small container of water...Cover one end so there is some shade?
I'm a bit worried he will climb out of it but I will be there sitting next to him the whole time. I was thinking 30-45 mins every 2nd day would be good?
Also if say he has been basking at the sunny end of the container for 45mins and I take him inside the house is there a risk that he'll cool down too quickly and die?
How do you guys take your bluey's outside for some sun?
LOL Mild in Winter...to us Queenslanders it's like the next Ice age has hit every winter. I generally wear a Jumper, long pants and socks till it gets above 25c lol I couldn't survive a Victorian winter. I grew up in Cairns and never quite got used to the winters in Brissy. I find 35c days here very nice...but I have to have a fan or aircon on a night when I sleep as it's usually hotter at night.
I was thinking of using a 60 litre Plastic container, put a towel on the bottom & and maybe a small container of water...Cover one end so there is some shade?
I'm a bit worried he will climb out of it but I will be there sitting next to him the whole time. I was thinking 30-45 mins every 2nd day would be good?
Also if say he has been basking at the sunny end of the container for 45mins and I take him inside the house is there a risk that he'll cool down too quickly and die?
How do you guys take your bluey's outside for some sun?
It gets quite warm up there,even at night, I couldn't even use a blanket when I lived up there,until winter was close,and winter up there is rather mild compared to here,lol
LOL Mild in Winter...to us Queenslanders it's like the next Ice age has hit every winter. I generally wear a Jumper, long pants and socks till it gets above 25c lol I couldn't survive a Victorian winter. I grew up in Cairns and never quite got used to the winters in Brissy. I find 35c days here very nice...but I have to have a fan or aircon on a night when I sleep as it's usually hotter at night.
-
Uly
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 60
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
Good News...
The vet is sending me out a letter saying that I'm the carer of the Bluey now as he is injured and can't fend for himself out in the wild any more :-)
Thanks again to all that posted help and info for this Injured little bluey :-) It was very much appreciated...Thanks.
Cheers
Uly
The vet is sending me out a letter saying that I'm the carer of the Bluey now as he is injured and can't fend for himself out in the wild any more :-)
Thanks again to all that posted help and info for this Injured little bluey :-) It was very much appreciated...Thanks.
Cheers
Uly
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
Bringing it indoors after basking outdoors should be fine,cant see any reason it would keel over and cark it from that,thats what you originally did when u brought it indoors,defibatly watch it at all times,as they are good at escaping,ideally a small enclosed outside cage is your best bet,but the tub can work to
Most qlders that visit melbourne even in summer catch a cold,lol and think its freezing,different heat when melb actually gets it,lol,plus very inconsistant
I caught a bus from melb to brisbane in september once,overnite trip,left wearing tracky pants and big jacket,bus was air conditioned,when i got off in brissy i almost fainted,lol,was only 27 to i believe,does cool down over winter though,but yeah still nothing like us poor saps in victoria cop,lol,i cant imagine how hot darwin must be
Most qlders that visit melbourne even in summer catch a cold,lol and think its freezing,different heat when melb actually gets it,lol,plus very inconsistant
I caught a bus from melb to brisbane in september once,overnite trip,left wearing tracky pants and big jacket,bus was air conditioned,when i got off in brissy i almost fainted,lol,was only 27 to i believe,does cool down over winter though,but yeah still nothing like us poor saps in victoria cop,lol,i cant imagine how hot darwin must be
Last edited by Richard.C on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Joey1983
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am
- Country:
- Location: New York City
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
Hey there I am too lazy to read all the postings for this post. But how is the little guy doing. poor thing! The photos are beautiful what kind of a skink is that?
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Rescued Blue Tongue after Butcher Bird Attack!
South east qld eastern bluey,joey
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 343 guests
