Do Blue Tongue Lizards eat their shed?? (mine did?!)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Cedar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Do Blue Tongue Lizards eat their shed?? (mine did?!)

Postby Cedar » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 pm

So I have heard of geckoes eating their shed skin but never a blue tongue lizard??? And this morning i wake up to my blue tongue vigorously shaking his head so i was like ?!!!!! And when I go up to her i find her eating her shed. When she sees me she spits it out but then continues until its eaten. It wasnt a whole shed but a decent bit of it.

Will this effect her in any way? Today also was her feeding day (i feed her twice a week) so I was just worried it might affect her digestion??

Also yesterday she was strangely aggressive but ill attribute that to pre shed behaviour as she was probably very uncomfortable. Other than that she shed very well and there are cute little shed gloves!!
alichamp

Re: Do Blue Tongue Lizards eat their shed?? (mine did?!)

Postby alichamp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:21 pm

This recent thread too
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 am

I don't imagine it would be a bad thing, although I've never seen it. (Sort of wish they would to save me the trouble of cleaning it all out!) My Cuban anoles do it all the time, don't leave a single piece. I've even seen a beardie do it. Wouldn't worry, perhaps reptiles do this for the same reasons some insects do, to destroy evidence of their being there, so predators don't find them...
AusKitty
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby AusKitty » Sun Jun 02, 2024 9:12 pm

Rather confused as I have 5 baby blotched bluies and they all exhibited classic shed signs (moody, dull in colour, lots of burrowing and not very active) one has successfully shed and left skin all over the enclosure. The other four haven't shed yet as far as I can tell. I was wondering if maybe they ate the shed before I could see it.

Do bluies eat their shed often?
bluemingsar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby bluemingsar » Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:47 pm

No need to worry - it sounds like your blue tongue lizard eating its shed is a perfectly normal behavior. A few of mine have done the same thing from time to time. I think @splashy07 and the others are right that it's probably just a natural part of the shedding process for some reptiles.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”