Should I bother new skink that's hiding?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
stressor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Should I bother new skink that's hiding?

Postby stressor » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:41 am

Hi all,

I just got my first BTS, a northern, it's about a month old and I purchased them from a reputable local breeder.

When first introduced to their enclosure they were extremely active and explored all of it, spent some time basking, even climbed up their fake vines. Within the first hour they found one of their cool hides (~78F during the day) and have not left it in the past 24 hours or so.

I'm wondering if I should just let it hang out in the hide or if there is anything else I should do. I understand it is common for new BTS to take some time to adjust, just wasn't sure if there is anything I should be doing to help it along or to check on it. It isn't eating or drinking at the moment.

Here's a shot of them (before they decided to start hiding) and their enclosure.

Thanks in advance!

Edit 8/8:

We let them hang out in their hide for another day, and at around 48 hours we removed the hide in order to check if there was any cleaning needed (there wasn't). While the hide was off they quickly got to their food and water dishes, and once the hide was replaced they continued to explore and started using both hides and basking.

Overall I think everything is coming along well :D

Dx3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Should I bother new skink that's hiding?

Postby Dx3 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:06 pm

I was the exact same when I got mine. The quicker you leave them be in their enclosure the quicker they become comfortable with their new environment and they’ll start coming out more and more. You could try to give little treats like bugs or a little fruit when the do come out on their own.
stressor
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Should I bother new skink that's hiding?

Postby stressor » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks a lot.

We ended up covering all the sides with opaque plastic to make the world less scary.

They are still hiding most of the time, but eating and drinking regularly. Mostly in the warm hide now and has gotten into burrowing. Such a fun little guy !

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”