Help: BTS Making Funny Noises?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
wummma
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help: BTS Making Funny Noises?

Postby wummma » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:10 pm

I recently went to an exotic vet to get my little guy checked out for an annual visit and they said that he was extremely healthy and growing wonderfully (this was roughly two weeks ago). However, I've been noticing he makes some noises, which I was worried were connected to a respiratory infection, but his clean bill of health eliminated that worry temporarily.

The noises are getting more frequent, he is normally a very social and active little guy, ever since he was little (over a year and a half now) he has been making little hissing/wheezy noises to greet me when I walk into a room or open his cage doors. However, recently, he has started a little bit of what sounds like a baby gurgle, or other little baby noises that seem more guttural and throaty, and when I tried to catch him on video he got antsy and irritated and let out this weird gurgle-cough-gag noise. Is this cause for concern? It's scaring the crap out of me if im being honest but i've read tons that say it's somewhat normal for them to make funny noises. I'd appreciate some advice from more experienced bluey owners :)
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: Help: BTS Making Funny Noises?

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Without hearing the noise it's hard to say for sure, but in general noises, especially anything sounding moist, are cause for concern and a vet trip. Often it's related to a respiratory infection (a cold/flu) and needs some antibiotics to treat it. Also be sure to check your setup - make sure the temperatures and humidity are within a safe range.

Any sign of bubbles in the eyes or snot?
wummma
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby wummma » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:02 am

No signs of respiratory distress. No snot, no bubbles, no excessive sneezing, no wet coughing. He only does it when he's out and about on my bedroom floor, wants to be out of his cage, or when he's chilling on my lap/being held, which is what made me think maybe its a social thing. Not to mention he was JUST at the vet and they said he was totally healthy. However, if you think taking him in would be best, I can do my best to do that.

His temp/humidity is constantly monitored on both sides of his cage. Good range, and good substrate.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:16 pm

If he's not showing any other signs of RI, it could just be a individual thing to him. A few of my skinks occasionally squeak when I take them out. Keep an eye out for any negative signs, but I don't feel like it needs to be rushed to a vet if he seems otherwise healthy.
wummma
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby wummma » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:55 am

I will keep a close eye on his behavior :)
I'm a decently paranoid person when it comes to my pets, so any warning sign will probably end in a vet appointment lol.
Thank you for your help and advice!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”