Kinks on tails

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Morla
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Kinks on tails

Postby Morla » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi,
I am looking to buy a northern adult and I’ve seen many with kinks on the tail, especially with high end morphs, which makes me think it could be a genetic defect due to inbreeding? I tried to find more info but I haven’t found any concrete answers, so of course I had to ask here! :D So, does anybody know if kinks on the tail are hereditary? And if I breed an adult with kinks in its tail the babies may have them as well?
Thank you!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Kinks on tails

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:08 am

I've found it not to be hereditary, and I've seen it only in males which led me to believe it could have something to do with brumation at an age when growth is not complete. Following brumation, the young males go into season and continue to starve themselves for another few months... made me think this could lead to nutritional deficiencies causing such things. Inbreeding or "line breeding" as its called in higher circles I believe can be a factor also. I as well have seen it more prominent in higher end animals. I know many do this, but I will not breed known relatives unless they are the last two on the planet. So if line bred comes to me, it is the end of the line and will be genetically "cleaned up."
Morla
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Kinks on tails

Postby Morla » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:30 pm

splashy07 wrote:I've found it not to be hereditary, and I've seen it only in males which led me to believe it could have something to do with brumation at an age when growth is not complete. Following brumation, the young males go into season and continue to starve themselves for another few months... made me think this could lead to nutritional deficiencies causing such things. Inbreeding or "line breeding" as its called in higher circles I believe can be a factor also. I as well have seen it more prominent in higher end animals. I know many do this, but I will not breed known relatives unless they are the last two on the planet. So if line bred comes to me, it is the end of the line and will be genetically "cleaned up."

Thank you so much for your very valuable input! I really appreciate it!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”