Warning don't buy from snakes at sunset.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Shaunb
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Warning don't buy from snakes at sunset.

Postby Shaunb » Wed May 25, 2022 4:08 pm

I bought my bts from their website it was advertised as a merauke. What I received was an irian jaya. When I asked them about the mix up and if they could do anything for me, this is what they said
"they are merauke. we import from exporter ourselves. irian jaya is the entire island and merauke is a town in it where. we get them from. they're the same species."
After correcting their confusion they have ceased to respond back. Overall I feel like I was scammed and I want to warn people about them and prevent this from happening to anyone else.
Herpin Man
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Warning don't buy from snakes at sunset.

Postby Herpin Man » Thu May 26, 2022 8:09 am

While I have never done business with Snakes at Sunset, I can tell you that it is fairly common for amphibian/reptile resellers to misidentify animals. They typically don’t like being corrected, and will usually not accept it.
The best thing that the buyer can do is ask for photos before making the purchase.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:56 am

Half the time with imports the seller doesn't even know what he has, especially with IJs/Meraukes as they are often confused with eachother and cross bred at the breeder "farms" in Indonesia. Many are sold as "captive bred" which is incorrect, pregnant females are imported and the babies are "captive born". The pairing/breeding was not done here in the US. Your best bet is to seek out a private breeder of the species you desire, and ask for pictures of the parents and lineage.
KingCaramel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KingCaramel » Tue May 31, 2022 8:17 pm

I just wanted to say, I ordered a northern blue tongue skink from Snakes at Sunset and I had no problems whatsoever.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”