Weird yellow in urate

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
abby222
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Weird yellow in urate

Postby abby222 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:21 pm

I noticed this weird yellow substance where my blue tongue had peed the other day. There was no urate or poop, just liquid and this. Also, the day before she had peed a ton, like I look and there was a puddle maybe 5 inches long and a couple wide. She also peed again after that, just not as much.

Any idea what this is? I mainly just want to know if I should be concerned. She went to the vet maybe a month and a half ago and everything looked fine. She is 5 months old and I feed her dog food with greens mainly. She goes poop pretty normal I don't know what to add other than that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Weird yellow in urate

Postby IvanDanko » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:15 pm

Hi there,

Urate can come out in in colours ranging from white to yellow from my understanding, possibly due to what the skink eats at a particular time. It's a bit hard to tell from the picture but has that urate simply dried up and then been stepped on? If you break up urate it is essentially a powdery substance.

As for the amount your skink is urinating that does sound like quite a bit - excessive water intake could be something to keep an eye on.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
abby222
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby abby222 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:05 pm

IvanDanko wrote:Hi there,

Urate can come out in in colours ranging from white to yellow from my understanding, possibly due to what the skink eats at a particular time. It's a bit hard to tell from the picture but has that urate simply dried up and then been stepped on? If you break up urate it is essentially a powdery substance.

As for the amount your skink is urinating that does sound like quite a bit - excessive water intake could be something to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the response, what is excessive urination or drinking a symptom of that I should watch out for? And I can't remember exactly what it looked like, but I saw it when it was fresh and it didn't look like a normal urate at all still, it was kind of gooey blob looking? Then I came back a bit later to clean and it dried like that. I just wasn't sure if I should be concerned or just forget about it haha.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:13 pm

It's hard to say specifically but it could be a sign that something isn't quite right - however if it was over only a day or two and it returns to normal I wouldn't stress too much. Urate can indeed come out very soft as you described. Have you noticed anything else since?
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”