New BTS not eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ahosea
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New BTS not eating

Postby ahosea » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:14 am

I got my first BTS a month ago from a pet store. From what I can tell he is a Halmahera. He’s about 13” at the moment but super skinny. His temps are about 95-105F on the basking side and 80F on the cool side. Humidity has been a bit of a struggle but I’m misting twice a day to keep it up. He’s currently on coconut fiber and is in a 20g long aquarium until I build the 4x2x2.

My concern is that he hasn’t eaten since I got him which was almost a month ago. I’ve tried dog food, cat food, boiled eggs, raw eggs, crickets, apples, bananas, squash, and bell peppers. He seemed interested in the raw eggs but only for a few seconds then just walked right over it. I have handled him quite a bit in the last month so I’m considering letting him adjust for even longer and not handling until he eats again. I just can’t tell if there’s some other reason for the lack of appetite. I thought maybe it could be low temps, brumation, breeding period, or even parasites. I’ve I can’t get him to eat soon, I’ll take him to the vet.
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: New BTS not eating

Postby Janella » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm

So unfortunately a lot of these goes are imported and come loaded with parasites. if you are absolutely positive this skink isn't eating and it has been a month, then I highly suggest you not wait and get it checked out. To much handling to soon can cause stress, but I don't like that it has been this long. I would do a vet check and then bring a fecal to check for parasites.
splashy07

Re: New BTS not eating

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 am

The sooner the better. Most if not all imports are not in good shape to begin with when they arrive, especially this time of year.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”