Crusty nose

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Gshaw1995
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Crusty nose

Postby Gshaw1995 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 6 year old meruke who I recently changed beddings. He's gone the last 5 years on aspen and I decided to change it to a 50/50 mix of reptibark and forest floor to help hold humidity. He's been on it for two weeks and hasn't burrowed not once. Also, I was handling him today and noticed that he had a nostril plug in both his nostrils. There's no other crust on his eyes or mouth, just the nostrils. He also was rather irked by me picking him up (moreso than normal). Anyone else had similar issues?
splashy07

Re: Crusty nose

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 am

Aspen is the absolute worst substrate for Indonesian locales. Probably residual buildup of dust and whatnot from being too dry. See if it improves in time with the new substrate. I'm surprised this is his first issue being kept on aspen.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Crusty nose

Postby mb606587 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Agreed. While some Indonesian skinks can live on aspen for years, eventually the respiratory system will deteriorate and the toes will be lost due to bad sheds.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”