Soaking?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
taylorabramox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Soaking?

Postby taylorabramox » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:19 am

This may be a dumb question, but i’ve had my bluey for a little over a year now, she’s almost the length of my arm and i was just wondering if they soak in their water bowls on their own? I’ve never seen her do it by herself before, and i gave her a soak yesterday to help with her shed . I may just be over protective and paranoid!!
Janella
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Soaking?

Postby Janella » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:39 am

Some will go in their bowls and some won't. It all depends on the skink. If there is shedding issues, soaks and humid hides work well. What type of skink do you have and what is your humidity at? Proper encloser set up helps with this all. You want to make sure you have a substrate that holds humidity well.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:01 am

All my eastern bluetongues and my eastern water skinks LOVE a soak in their water dish.

The BTs will sit in the water and literally doze off with their head over the edge.

The water skinks pretend they are microcrocodiles and will often "play" in their water dish , they'll submerge completely quite frequently.

If it's very hot where you are your skink will appreciate a water dish they can soak in , just make sure it not deep enough for the BT to drown in it if they can't get back out.
taylorabramox
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taylorabramox » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:29 am

thank you all! I have her on EcoEarth and spray her enclosure down 1-2 times a day. We live in florida so it’s pretty hot and my house stays in the high 70s. she has a water bowl big enough for her body, i was just curious because i’m still new to blueys and she’s my first and we just had an issue with my beardie going through an impaction so i’m all sorts of paranoid for all my animals lately lol.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”