Can I go ahead and begin handling new BTS
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Pferrell
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:49 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: TN
Can I go ahead and begin handling new BTS
Hey guys, I'm a new BTS owner. I've had my little guy ( I say guy but not really sure of gender) about three days now and he is about nine inches long. He has been staying hidden all day, which I understand is normal for the first week or so. My question is can I go ahead and start handling him or let him settle longer. The only time I've held him was the day I got him transferring him into his new enclosure. He shows no signs of defensivness, doesn't hiss or try to bite. He is completely chill. I'm excited to start getting him out some just don't want to do anything to compromise our relationship. Any input would be appreciated
thanks
-
kingofnobbys
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1229
- Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:17 am
- Country: australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Can I go ahead and begin handling new BTS
Yes …. I would start off with a few minutes each day , taking him out (don't chase him if he backs off or run away from you in his tank - this will only reinforce his fear of you).
What I find works is to place little sklnk on the lap or tummy and place a t-towel over him (so he's covered) , or if you are wearing a t-shirt, on the tummy and lift the bottom of the front of the t-shirt over him , this tends to calm them down and they soon either poke their nose out and check you out or go to sleep in the warmth and security .
I like to sit on the lounge and let the little skink crawl all over me (only places they can't go is past my shoulders or neck - too scared I'll loose track of where it is and squash it when I turn around if it climbs off me or falls off me between my bum / back and the back rest.
Sitting on the bed and letting skink explore me and the bed works OK too , as does squatting on the floor and letting skink explore me and maybe the floor close to me (if it's safe and all skink sized gaps (behind , under stuff are blocked).
Your open hands can be used as blocking barriers if the skink is boisterous and wants to dash off and check something out that might be unsafe, using the hands as a hand treadmill is good to help ware out a frisky skink.
A fav spot for my BTs when they were little was on my chest inside the T-shirt or in my chest pocket on my poloshirt ….. my rescued water skink Fluffy likes the pocket thing too. The beardies as hatchlings all loved under the t-shirt and in the pocket too.
Talk quietly and calmly continuously to the skink when you are near it , so it gets used to your voice and learns it's name (they will come when called by name if you are persistent) , and also talk to the skink when it's on you (quietly and calmly ….they are great and very attentive listeners and my pets and rescues all look straight into my eyes when I've talking to them while I've got them on me for snuggles or for fun-play time). You'll discover they are much more intelligent than you believed and everyone has it's own unique character and personality and quirks.
I like to always have some food treats to offer the little skink when I'm getting them out and making friends with them … food a great icebreaker …. only time I recommend using mealworms …. all skinks love mealworms so they are great treats.
The aim is for the skink to associate interacting with you with things it likes , ie warm, security (become the skink's safe place) , and food and pleasure. I make a daily ritual of this with my young dragons and skinks , including handfeeding their first few crickets or BSFL to them each day before returning to the rearing tub for the rest of their meal.
I assure this works , I've done the same with many wild skinks, dragons and geckos and frogs , who will come up to me now let me pet them for the cost of a food treat, and with my BTs as babies, and several rescued injured wild skinks, and several bearded dragons as hatchlings.
So …. enjoy your new little 4 legged scaley buddy. Soon he/she'll be snuggling into you and enjoying long naps on you or next to you , and enjoying you as much as you enjoy him or her.
What I find works is to place little sklnk on the lap or tummy and place a t-towel over him (so he's covered) , or if you are wearing a t-shirt, on the tummy and lift the bottom of the front of the t-shirt over him , this tends to calm them down and they soon either poke their nose out and check you out or go to sleep in the warmth and security .
I like to sit on the lounge and let the little skink crawl all over me (only places they can't go is past my shoulders or neck - too scared I'll loose track of where it is and squash it when I turn around if it climbs off me or falls off me between my bum / back and the back rest.
Sitting on the bed and letting skink explore me and the bed works OK too , as does squatting on the floor and letting skink explore me and maybe the floor close to me (if it's safe and all skink sized gaps (behind , under stuff are blocked).
Your open hands can be used as blocking barriers if the skink is boisterous and wants to dash off and check something out that might be unsafe, using the hands as a hand treadmill is good to help ware out a frisky skink.
A fav spot for my BTs when they were little was on my chest inside the T-shirt or in my chest pocket on my poloshirt ….. my rescued water skink Fluffy likes the pocket thing too. The beardies as hatchlings all loved under the t-shirt and in the pocket too.
Talk quietly and calmly continuously to the skink when you are near it , so it gets used to your voice and learns it's name (they will come when called by name if you are persistent) , and also talk to the skink when it's on you (quietly and calmly ….they are great and very attentive listeners and my pets and rescues all look straight into my eyes when I've talking to them while I've got them on me for snuggles or for fun-play time). You'll discover they are much more intelligent than you believed and everyone has it's own unique character and personality and quirks.
I like to always have some food treats to offer the little skink when I'm getting them out and making friends with them … food a great icebreaker …. only time I recommend using mealworms …. all skinks love mealworms so they are great treats.
The aim is for the skink to associate interacting with you with things it likes , ie warm, security (become the skink's safe place) , and food and pleasure. I make a daily ritual of this with my young dragons and skinks , including handfeeding their first few crickets or BSFL to them each day before returning to the rearing tub for the rest of their meal.
I assure this works , I've done the same with many wild skinks, dragons and geckos and frogs , who will come up to me now let me pet them for the cost of a food treat, and with my BTs as babies, and several rescued injured wild skinks, and several bearded dragons as hatchlings.
So …. enjoy your new little 4 legged scaley buddy. Soon he/she'll be snuggling into you and enjoying long naps on you or next to you , and enjoying you as much as you enjoy him or her.
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Can I go ahead and begin handling new BTS
Sure, the sooner the better. Start them young getting used to you.
-
Pferrell
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:49 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: TN
Re: Can I go ahead and begin handling new BTS
Thank you for the replies. One more quick question. Because I have a beardie as well, I always have loads of dubia roaches. Would they make a good treat for the BTS as well?
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Can I go ahead and begin handling new BTS
When mine are in the mood they will eat quite a few of them! I have a colony also.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 264 guests
