Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Vera the Halmahera: Progression
As you guys know, I recently rescued a Halmahera. From what I understand, she was already in ill health when he bought her, so he got her for a discounted price. After months of owning her, he could not fix her problems, and they worsened.
Upon receiving pictures and her arrival, Vera appeared to have the infamous "Mystery Illness". Her eyes were crusted, her eyelids were rubbed raw, missing most toes, crust on mouth, crust on nasal openings, eye bubbling, etc. Pictures of her before her arrival:
Upon arrival, I noticed she could hardly walk without jerking her feet back in pain. The day she arrived:
Originally, I thought she had shed just on her toes, so I helped her with those:
But it turned out she had shed stuck on her whole arm (she was in shed in this picture, and you can see where I got the shed off her toes, and not her palm/arm):
Like I stated before, she went into shed. She was grey for about 4 days. This is her yesterday (5/7/15):
Then she started shedding literally the day after being full on grey (5/8/15)!
However, this shed is unlike any shed I have ever experienced. When the shed came off, the freshly exposed scales were extremely dry (in the water). Once I got done soaking her, and she dried, the areas where she shed, the newly exposed area was very sticky feeling. The newly exposed scales also feel very brittle, but that is to be expected. I made it a priority to help her eyes. Turns out, she had multiple layers of retained eyelid sheds. I guess with the retained eyelid sheds being attached, they were rubbing on her eye ball, making it water and irritate - ultimately leading to the watering of the eyes drying on the retained sheds causing the crust. She also had a lot of crust on her lips. This was also a result of retained shed, and came off very easily with the rest of her mouth scales. Same with her nasal scale.
I did nothing, in terms of care, special towards her getting better (did add triple antibiotic ointment to her toes). I have her housed on paper towel, and that is about it. She gets 50% humidity during the day, 100% during the night. This will be getting higher once the rainy season starts. I keep her in the low 80's with a basking spot. My plan was to take her to the vet and give her the medications/injections Susann gives her skinks that show similar symptoms if she showed no sign of getting better. But, I have had her 2 weeks, and she is doing great. She walks just fine now without jerking.
I had to leave for work before I could help her finish getting all the retained shed off, so she will be done by tomorrow. I have to help get the shed off, as it is basically glued to her, but slowly it is coming off. I'll post pictures when she is done.
Thanks for viewing
Upon receiving pictures and her arrival, Vera appeared to have the infamous "Mystery Illness". Her eyes were crusted, her eyelids were rubbed raw, missing most toes, crust on mouth, crust on nasal openings, eye bubbling, etc. Pictures of her before her arrival:
Upon arrival, I noticed she could hardly walk without jerking her feet back in pain. The day she arrived:
Originally, I thought she had shed just on her toes, so I helped her with those:
But it turned out she had shed stuck on her whole arm (she was in shed in this picture, and you can see where I got the shed off her toes, and not her palm/arm):
Like I stated before, she went into shed. She was grey for about 4 days. This is her yesterday (5/7/15):
Then she started shedding literally the day after being full on grey (5/8/15)!
However, this shed is unlike any shed I have ever experienced. When the shed came off, the freshly exposed scales were extremely dry (in the water). Once I got done soaking her, and she dried, the areas where she shed, the newly exposed area was very sticky feeling. The newly exposed scales also feel very brittle, but that is to be expected. I made it a priority to help her eyes. Turns out, she had multiple layers of retained eyelid sheds. I guess with the retained eyelid sheds being attached, they were rubbing on her eye ball, making it water and irritate - ultimately leading to the watering of the eyes drying on the retained sheds causing the crust. She also had a lot of crust on her lips. This was also a result of retained shed, and came off very easily with the rest of her mouth scales. Same with her nasal scale.
I did nothing, in terms of care, special towards her getting better (did add triple antibiotic ointment to her toes). I have her housed on paper towel, and that is about it. She gets 50% humidity during the day, 100% during the night. This will be getting higher once the rainy season starts. I keep her in the low 80's with a basking spot. My plan was to take her to the vet and give her the medications/injections Susann gives her skinks that show similar symptoms if she showed no sign of getting better. But, I have had her 2 weeks, and she is doing great. She walks just fine now without jerking.
I had to leave for work before I could help her finish getting all the retained shed off, so she will be done by tomorrow. I have to help get the shed off, as it is basically glued to her, but slowly it is coming off. I'll post pictures when she is done.
Thanks for viewing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
She has shed. All stuck shed is officially off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
Dood
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 434
- Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:29 am
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Well done Dakota
She looks amazing 
She looks amazing - Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Nice one dakota,shes got nice deep coloring,she looks really solid to,did she manage to shed by herself or did u have to help wuth areas that already had retained shed still
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Nice work. That is one lucky skink!
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
The day she started shedding, I helped her. I wanted to make sure she got every last bit off. The first day, the shed was very much stuck on her, but it eased up the next day. The next time she sheds, I'm going to let her do it on her own, and see how well she does.
Thanks all. She is such a sweetheart. Tolerates me poking at her very well.
Thanks all. She is such a sweetheart. Tolerates me poking at her very well.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- alichamp
- Moderator

- Posts: 749
- Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
- Country: Australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
When you first got her she looked so ill and now you have helped clear up her sheds she looks so much brighter and better! Well done! She must have known you were helping her 
Do you think she looked bad because of the particularly bad shedding issues and her problems are now resolved or do you think there is still some illness or other problem in addition?
Do you think she looked bad because of the particularly bad shedding issues and her problems are now resolved or do you think there is still some illness or other problem in addition?
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
alichamp wrote:Do you think she looked bad because of the particularly bad shedding issues and her problems are now resolved or do you think there is still some illness or other problem in addition?
I think shedding issues were 100% of the problem. However, her issues are still not resolved, yet. Especially with her eyes, the newly exposed skin is still healing. I expect a full recovery in a few sheds, to give her scales/skin/toes/eyes time to heal/hydrate. No crust on either eyes or lips, either, so, so far so good.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- alichamp
- Moderator

- Posts: 749
- Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:50 pm
- Country: Australia
- Location: NSW
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Wow, just goes to show how important good sheds are! Makes me wonder how sheds normally go for wild blueys and how often they are problematic. Anyone?
-
LinksMomma
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Florida
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
I saw this beautiful girl on the Blue Tongue Skink enthusiasts page. And I've gotta say once again I'm so very proud of the efforts you made/are making for this beautiful girl <3
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression

Haven't did an update in a bit. Her toes and eyes are all completely healed. I say she is as good as new now.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
freeloader
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 210
- Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 pm
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Very nice looking animal. A job well done. Like the last head shot.
- JoshChimera
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 1099
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
- Country:
- Location: the Bay Area CA USA
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
The last picture you posted is the most content bts ever!
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
- splashy07
- ADMIN

- Posts: 3191
- Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Absolutely amazing, your time and efforts have thankfully paid off. In my next life I want to be one of your skinks!
-
Snowysmom
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 146
- Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 am
- Country:
- Location: Massachusetts, United States
Re: Vera the Halmahera: Progression
Excellent Dakota.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 195 guests
