Possible Medical Issue With Mouth
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Romeyrider
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am
- Country:
- Location: California, USA
Possible Medical Issue With Mouth
I am worried about my baby. I noticed it yesterday that part of both sides of his gums stick out on the top. Right across from each other. I saw the same problem on this forum before and the title was "Weird Mouth Issue" or something like that. My very first skink Azure had the same mouth problem to begin with and it resulted in her death. I should have taken pictures of her from the beginning but I didn't. I cleaned the tank exceptionally well and used all new decor, water dish, hide, etc. I have taken care of him very well and am very worried because of my past skink. The other skink on this forum that had the same mouth issue got better so I am hoping my baby will too. Have you guys ever seen this before or know what it is? I haven't been in the BTS community for very long and have so far seen 3 cases of it so there must be people out there who have had or seen this issue before. I took photos today and you can see that the upper part of his gum, about in the middle, on both sides of his face sticks out. There also appears to be a little discharge from it as well. He was very cooperative while I took the pictures. Oh, he is eating and acting normal otherwise. Thanks for any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Possible Medical Issue With Mouth
Oddly this is quite common with northerns,not sure if its over ethusiasticly trying to eat stuff,but they seem to have sensative lips/gums,ususally in that very area of your pic,usually clears itself up but i guess keep a close eye on it just incase,youngsters seem most prone to it,main thing is try not to stress to much about it as im sure others will reply with similar things with there northerns,its quite common
Im sure people have taken there animal to the vet over it,be interesting ti hear what a vet/s have said about it
Im sure people have taken there animal to the vet over it,be interesting ti hear what a vet/s have said about it
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Possible Medical Issue With Mouth
Many of my Meraukes have this. Some get better as they grow older but some stay that way. Some have a build-up issue along with it, but none of mine so far have developed any health issues from this.
I would try to open the mouth to see if there's any discoloration of the gums. If it's just the slight discolored buildup along the edge I wouldn't worry; just make sure you try to wipe his mouth off with a wet paper towel after he eats.
I would try to open the mouth to see if there's any discoloration of the gums. If it's just the slight discolored buildup along the edge I wouldn't worry; just make sure you try to wipe his mouth off with a wet paper towel after he eats.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
-
Romeyrider
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:00 am
- Country:
- Location: California, USA
Re: Possible Medical Issue With Mouth
Thank you for the comments, unfortunately it's gotten a little worse. I would take him to a vet but the vet had no clue what was wrong with my other skink after other issues started popping up, he even consulted other reptile vets and they didn't know either. He's not acting any different and I know I shouldn't be too worried but because of what happened to my last skink I am very worried. I don't want history to repeat itself. It got really bad in the end... 
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 178 guests
