His poop

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

His poop

Postby The Bearded Derek » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello
Apparently for some reason my skink doesn't seem to be defecating right, it's supposed to be light brown (From what I saw on the Care sheet) but his is pretty big (I think 1.5 cm) and it's black green :|
Is there any way for it to be normal? (I feed him "Skink Chow" that I made, which has: Brown mushrooms, Canned dogfood, Parsnips, Acorn Squash, Zucchini, and Yellow Bell Pepper. Sometimes as treats I occasionally give him some star fruit, grapes, bananas, or a superworm. Don't know if that should help)


Off-Topic question
I'm getting him a new tank before Spring starts, does anyone have any naturalistic terrarium or ideas? :p
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
Helikaon
Patternless Pursuit
Patternless Pursuit
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:15 am
Country:
Location: qld Australia

Re: His poop

Postby Helikaon » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Faeces colour will be entirely determined by what he eats, if it is nicely formed and has clean white urates it is normal.
Be The Rat!!!
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: His poop

Postby Dakota » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:02 pm

You need to add some leafy greens in the diet.

And on the poop matter, it varies in color. Just like in any other animal (and yes, humans). I wouldn't worry too much about color unless it was some lurid for poop.

And considering you have an Halmahera locale Indonesian, a rainforest vivarium would be the most natural for them. :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: His poop

Postby Dakota » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Gary beat me to it. :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: His poop

Postby The Bearded Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:49 am

Which kind of leafy greens should I add? Any at all?

Thanks for the idea about the tank, I never knew they were from rainforests, I thought all were either in woodlands or deserts :P
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: His poop

Postby Linnea » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:55 am

lots of leafy greens! :D
the entire upper section of the food chart is filled with them, so here is a link :
http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: His poop

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:19 am

Yup, look up Halmahera/North Maluku! VERY beautiful, tropical place.

Just wondering, if you thought they came from the desert, what is the humidity like in his enclosure now?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: His poop

Postby The Bearded Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Currently I don't know :? his humidity gauge broke past 3 weeks. I heard it shouldn't be much high since I live in Florida (They said there's a lot of humidity here)
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: His poop

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:55 pm

During the summer/wet season here, south from you, the humidity was 40% in our house. So I suspect it to be 20%-30% or so right now inside. They are found in places where humidity is 100% (which is RAIN) very often.. but the dry season is really dry for them. If I wasn't breeding, I think I'd set 60%-70% humidity year round.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: His poop

Postby The Bearded Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:00 pm

What could I use for humidity that humidifies more?
EDIT: Well currently here the humidity is 83% http://www.weather.com/weather/today/25 ... ogleonebox should I put something anyway?
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: His poop

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:02 pm

It is much, much, much more lower in your house than outside. I would be really surprised if it was higher than 40% in your house right now.

You can consider a humid-hide for him.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: His poop

Postby The Bearded Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:24 pm

He's outside because there's no where in the house where such a big terrarium can fit :(
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol
User avatar
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
Country: US

Re: His poop

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:56 pm

OHHH, then you are completely fine. How is he doing with the cold front that came in? Only one of my skinks even woke up today! I keep my guys outside as well.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
User avatar
The Bearded Derek
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 3:40 pm
Country:
Location: Hialeah, Florida

Re: His poop

Postby The Bearded Derek » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:14 pm

From what he's doing, he seems fine :) he walks around normally, going from hot side to cold side, resting on both, mainly on the hot side (sense it's gone colder I put the heat lamp to get slightly hotter)
Beards everywhere for everyone! lol

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 190 guests