Onion Extract?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Zalder
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York, The United States of America
Onion Extract?
I've got this can of "Great Value Mixed Vegetables" and was going to use it to prepare food for my bluey, Ganymede. The ingredients are as follows: Vegetable, (carrots, green beans, peas, corn, lima beans), water, salt, celery seed extract, ONION EXTRACT, natural flavor. All of that stuff is kosher according to the care sheet on the website, but it says onion contain a toxin called "thiosulphate", and that you should never feed onions to blueys. I don't want to take the risk, but I'd though I'd check. Is "onion extract" ok, can I just wash the vegetables with water then prepare, or should I just eat them myself?
Thanks for your help!
"for there is nothing/either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Hamlet, in Hamlet by Shakespeare
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Onion Extract?
Here is the definition of the word extract: a preparation containing the active ingredient of a substance in concentrated form.
I don't think I would personally risk it... but others may know more about this.
I don't think I would personally risk it... but others may know more about this.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Onion Extract?
id not feed anything with leeks or onion directly in them, its pretty strongly toxic sometimes, and at other times much slighter, depending on the onion used.
the added salt is also disconcerting for any food mix :I
the added salt is also disconcerting for any food mix :I
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Lea
- Patron Saint of Blueys

- Posts: 4261
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Onion Extract?
Onion contains thiosulphates which are toxic to small mammals and reptiles because they are directly associated with the non clinical form of haemolytic anaemia. The actual dose required is not really researched, so it's safer to exclude them altogether from a blue tongue diet.
Also, corn, peas and Lima beans all have a "husk" made of indigestible cellulose, which will not be broken down by your skink, so could lead to issues with impaction and malnutrition (if fed regularly), so are also not a good component for a skink diet, unless you de-hull them all first. Salt also should not be added.
Celery seed is a powerful natural diuretic, so probably it, too, is best avoided.
I'd suggest creating your own mix from veggies you know will have a healthy and nutritious impact.
Also, corn, peas and Lima beans all have a "husk" made of indigestible cellulose, which will not be broken down by your skink, so could lead to issues with impaction and malnutrition (if fed regularly), so are also not a good component for a skink diet, unless you de-hull them all first. Salt also should not be added.
Celery seed is a powerful natural diuretic, so probably it, too, is best avoided.
I'd suggest creating your own mix from veggies you know will have a healthy and nutritious impact.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
- Zalder
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 68
- Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:19 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York, The United States of America
Re: Onion Extract?
Alright.
I'll definitely avoid this then. I'll be more choosey in the future. Thanks for the help guys.
"for there is nothing/either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Hamlet, in Hamlet by Shakespeare
- Lauriek
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Onion Extract?
You know it's actually easier and better to make your own vegie mix. That way you know exactly what your skink is eating. I would avoid packaged foods as Lea suggested.
Blueys don't eat onions in the wild (we don't have any native Allium species in Australia to my knowledge) so I wouldn't feed onions at all. In any form.
Blueys don't eat onions in the wild (we don't have any native Allium species in Australia to my knowledge) so I wouldn't feed onions at all. In any form.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 214 guests
