what's your opinion on heating pads?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
sdraiders619
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
what's your opinion on heating pads?
I work at a chain pet store and have been debating getting a heating pad to put under one of ny blueys hides. I know that some are strongly against them because they believe they will get burnt from laying on them all day. Do you leave the pad on all day? And do u stick it on the outside bottom of the tank?
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
I use to use a heating-pad.. for a total of 3 years or so.. on my IJ.. last year of her life I used a heating lamp off and on.
I feel that they prefer to bask, over laying and getting heating on their belly.. but not all skinks are the same. People are just as successful using a heating-pad vs. heating lamp. Diurnal animals are typically the baskers, whilst nocturnal animals get heat from rocks that keep the heat most of the time. People use heating-pads for diurnal snakes.. soo..
I know a lot of people don't ever offer their skink ANY heat source, and surprisingly do extremely well.
If it were me, do with the heating-lamp, but I guess it is your call.
I feel that they prefer to bask, over laying and getting heating on their belly.. but not all skinks are the same. People are just as successful using a heating-pad vs. heating lamp. Diurnal animals are typically the baskers, whilst nocturnal animals get heat from rocks that keep the heat most of the time. People use heating-pads for diurnal snakes.. soo..
I know a lot of people don't ever offer their skink ANY heat source, and surprisingly do extremely well.
If it were me, do with the heating-lamp, but I guess it is your call.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
sdraiders619
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
Thanks I already have a heat lamp and uvb. IS ADDING A heating pad OVER kill? And will it burn my skink if I leave it on 24/7
Last edited by sdraiders619 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
No, as long as it doesn't provide any heat. If it does provide heat, put it next to the heating bulb and lower the wattage of the heat bulb until around 98 is achieved. Leaving a light on 24/7 messes with them, they don't know when to sleep, ect.. definitely do not leave the UVB bulb on at night.. as a matter of fact, don't leave ANY kind of light on at night.. if nights get cold, use a heating pad.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
sdraiders619
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
Thanks for ur reply sorry I miss typed in my last post instead of uvb I meant to say heat pad. Can I leave the heat pad on 24/7? The uvb and heat lamp go off at 8pm
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
Hmm.. if cold, I would leave it on only at night.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
I use both UTH (heating pad) and heat lamp with all of mine. I use a temp control to maintain a constant temp of 97-98 degrees F. Where I am in the Northeast it is hard to maintain the proper temps in the winter without the UTH.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
heat pads ect are great when temp controlled,especially in cooler climates,can be used to create jot spots or even just gentle heat to help with cool back ground temps especially woth tropical animals kept in cool climates
-
sdraiders619
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:47 pm
- Country:
- Location: united states
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
Thank u guys so I think I'm going to get a small one for under his log hide out. The pad doesn't come with a control gage so I can't control the temp on it. Is it fine to still leave it on 24/7
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
It would be, but like I said I would only use it if it is cold.. but I live in SW Florida, that will never happen.. coldest probably being 68 degrees in the house? There is different opinion, you could leave it on 24/7, but I wouldn't.. a skinks need to have a cool down at night.. it is natural.. having a heating pad to keep it at 80 all the time will speed up the metabolism.. having the feed and supplement more.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
Alicia P
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 35
- Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:27 pm
- Country:
- Location: Michigan
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
You have to have a thermostat on an under tank heater (UTH) they can get too hot if left uncontrolled. You can get a Hydrofarm thermostat from Amazon for under $35 usually. There are also reptile specific thermostats that cost a bit more.
I have a lamp and a UTH on my BTS tank. The lamp is on from 9-9 and the UTH is on a thermostat that is set to 80F I have seen my BTS, on the UTH, basking under the lamp and chilling on the cool side so I know she uses all her zones.
Again UTHs can get up to 120F if just plugged in and let run so you NEED a thermostat!
I have a lamp and a UTH on my BTS tank. The lamp is on from 9-9 and the UTH is on a thermostat that is set to 80F I have seen my BTS, on the UTH, basking under the lamp and chilling on the cool side so I know she uses all her zones.
Again UTHs can get up to 120F if just plugged in and let run so you NEED a thermostat!
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
Keep in mind too that many UTH are only meant to be used on glass, and be sure to use it exactly as directions indicate, because UTH are known for their malfunctioning rates.
There are some options that tend to be a bit more safe, but work in a similar manner, like Flexwatt tape or reptile heat cables.
And yes, they always need to be mounted on the OUTSIDE.
There are some options that tend to be a bit more safe, but work in a similar manner, like Flexwatt tape or reptile heat cables.
And yes, they always need to be mounted on the OUTSIDE.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
another option would be a lowish wattage ceramic heat light,they give off heat but no light,in cold climates they do a better job of warming the air than undertank heaters,very handy in cold climates for keeping ambients warmer for babies and tropical reptiles
for heat matts ect u can buy probe thermostats that u plug matt into then to power and stick probe on cage in area where matt heats through from outside cage,a good wau to prevent overheating with higher wattage ones
for heat matts ect u can buy probe thermostats that u plug matt into then to power and stick probe on cage in area where matt heats through from outside cage,a good wau to prevent overheating with higher wattage ones
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: what's your opinion on heating pads?
Alicia P wrote:You have to have a thermostat on an under tank heater (UTH) they can get too hot if left uncontrolled. You can get a Hydrofarm thermostat from Amazon for under $35 usually. There are also reptile specific thermostats that cost a bit more.
I have a lamp and a UTH on my BTS tank. The lamp is on from 9-9 and the UTH is on a thermostat that is set to 80F I have seen my BTS, on the UTH, basking under the lamp and chilling on the cool side so I know she uses all her zones.
Again UTHs can get up to 120F if just plugged in and let run so you NEED a thermostat!
I just want to second this advice! You need a temp controller (thermostat) whether you have a UTH or not-even the lights can get too hot-this fluctuates with time of day, time of year. Unless you are going to stand there with a temp gun and check every hour or so
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests
