I am calling the vet in the am but for now if anyone could enlighten me.....
I mixed in damp cocoa fiber to her normal aspen bedding over the last part of winter to help increase the humidity. As it dried out it has caused issues with getting in her eyes and also becoming stuck crusted in her nostrils. I did a full tank cleaning last night and switched back to only aspen. Her left eye was irritated and red, so I gently flushed it w a stream of distilled water from a spray bottle and put some warm compresses over her eye for a few minutes. It appears less irritated today but she is still holding it closed for the most part.
More concerning is Indah is making some very odd movements with her legs. It has been going on for about three days now and at first it started with her front two. Today I noticed she is doing it with her back as well.
Her legs tremble/shake as she moves them in a forward rolling motion. Almost how people would roll their arms to warm up for exercise. She is also laying on her basking rock more than usual and her breathing appears labored/her mouth looks even slightly open. Im very concerned. The bottoms of her front feet are extremely cracked and peeled. The underneath of the pad looks bruised and irritated. I dont believe this has anything to do with the movements bc her back feet are not in this condition and she is still doing that rolling motion with them.
I should mention she is due to shed, but this is not right looking, shed or no shed.
I applied olive oil to the pads of her feet last night. I cant imagine what is going on. I am constantly alert to oddities with her, and I make sure her diet is correct (she is overweight but I have decreased feedings to 1x 2wks) and my husbandry is optimal.
Does this sound like gout? MBD? A bacterial infection/systemic?
For the above mentioned, what should I be looking out for? Would pics/video be of any help? Im feeling pretty bad right now. Its not something I thought I would ever go through...
On a side note her appetite is still there and she does not have any discharge or wheezing of any kind.
Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
Last edited by Kbell31 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
What are you feeding? How often? Supplements? Temperatures?
- Kbell31
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 484
- Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ohio
Re: Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
I alternate Blue Buffalo wet cat food/ground chicken or ground beef for proteins. Sometimes snails when I have them.
I mix assorted veggies w that, cucumber/bell peppers/radishes/carrots/greens (mustard usually) mushrooms. These are normal veggies I have on hand.
Fruit maybe once a week-apple/melons/blueberries
I dust w Repashy calcium every other feeding.
I feed 1 time per two weeks
Daytime temps are around 71F cool end- basking rock is 96-97F
Nightime temps 65-68F
I mix assorted veggies w that, cucumber/bell peppers/radishes/carrots/greens (mustard usually) mushrooms. These are normal veggies I have on hand.
Fruit maybe once a week-apple/melons/blueberries
I dust w Repashy calcium every other feeding.
I feed 1 time per two weeks
Daytime temps are around 71F cool end- basking rock is 96-97F
Nightime temps 65-68F
When life gets difficult, always remember you are being planted NOT buried!
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
was cage cooled over winter?
could be a cold damp issue,respitory/skin infection type thing,any chance of some pics,its very hard to diagnose just online so good your got a vets appointment,could be early signs of an infection,but try not to stress as it may not be anything major
could be a cold damp issue,respitory/skin infection type thing,any chance of some pics,its very hard to diagnose just online so good your got a vets appointment,could be early signs of an infection,but try not to stress as it may not be anything major
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
Maybe its just me but could it be he isnt gettig enought calcium. Based on what you say it means he is only gettig calcium once a month, tell me if im wrong? I have seen other cases with coco fiber stuck, best to stay away.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Concerned, please offer suggestions/opinions
The number of times per month that he gets calcium does really matter, it is more important how much calcium he gets as compared to other nutrients. The Blue Buffalo should have a good calcium amount, same with snails and if she is supplementing every second feeding then I don't think it should be an issue (obviously I don't know for sure, but it seems like it takes a really poor diet and a long time to develop calcium issues). Does the calcium have D3?
I haven't used cocofiber, but I've heard good things about it. Might be dampness / humidity although those species seem to have a high tolerance.
I'm not sure, I'd say talk to a vet and let us know. Good luck, hope it is nothing serious! Pictures of the eye etc might help, but again - best to chat with a vet and please let us know.
I haven't used cocofiber, but I've heard good things about it. Might be dampness / humidity although those species seem to have a high tolerance.
I'm not sure, I'd say talk to a vet and let us know. Good luck, hope it is nothing serious! Pictures of the eye etc might help, but again - best to chat with a vet and please let us know.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 270 guests
