Inari going to the vet tomorrow
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Inari going to the vet tomorrow
I fed Inari (my Indo) yesterday and something didn't seem right. She hasn't been acting like herself lately. She never seems to eat much and usually that's not a big deal except that I noticed she's been waiting a while to eat lately. At least I thought she was. I think she's just been knocking the food over and it just dried up in the cypress in the tank. I'm now thinking that she may have had a respiratory infection. She seemed to be drinking well before recently. All of a sudden today she looked different. Her eyes are now sunken. It was nearly time for the vet to close so I've made an appointment for the morning. I'm not thinking it's going to go well. The fact that she let me pick her up easily without snapping back so that I could clean up the tank is not a good sign. Now she appears to have sunken eyes. I would post pictures but I'm having some sort of problem with the computer that I'm on recognizing USB devices. I'll have to wait until I can get to another computer. Unless my memory is off or my scale is malfunctioning she appears to have lost about 115 grams. I'll post more after the vet appointment if she even makes it that long.
Justin
Info that might be important or might not:
I had a respiratory infection back from October to December. I don't know if humans can pass respiratory infections to skinks or not. I was very careful and neither the other skink nor the tortoise are having any problems. Both are eating fine.
There is a rabbit nearby the tank. Timothy hay was knocked onto Inari's tank either by a person feeding the rabbit or the rabbit itself. Again I have no idea if this will have any bearing on anything. Her tank has been moved away from the rabbit's cage.
I have removed EVERYTHING from the tank and cleaned it top to bottom. I only have paper towels and a disposable bowl of water in there. There is heat on the tank day and night.
Justin
Info that might be important or might not:
I had a respiratory infection back from October to December. I don't know if humans can pass respiratory infections to skinks or not. I was very careful and neither the other skink nor the tortoise are having any problems. Both are eating fine.
There is a rabbit nearby the tank. Timothy hay was knocked onto Inari's tank either by a person feeding the rabbit or the rabbit itself. Again I have no idea if this will have any bearing on anything. Her tank has been moved away from the rabbit's cage.
I have removed EVERYTHING from the tank and cleaned it top to bottom. I only have paper towels and a disposable bowl of water in there. There is heat on the tank day and night.
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
Check for similar symptoms in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20085&hilit=eye+toe+ri
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20085&hilit=eye+toe+ri
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
Good for you for going to the vet, as RI's can be fatal, and FAST. I dont believe humans can pass on our RI's to our reptiles, but it is VERY contagious among any other reptiles you do have.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
It's more likely we get ill because of them then otherwise.
Unless you had a RI like Chlamydia or fungus?
But the contact would have to be very very very directly to go from human to animal
Good luck with your BTS.
Unless you had a RI like Chlamydia or fungus?
But the contact would have to be very very very directly to go from human to animal
Good luck with your BTS.
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
There are a few anthroponotic diseases, I think tuberculosis may be one.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
-
IchliebeTiere
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Kentucky
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
I hope all goes well and it's not as bad as you think.
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
El Lobo wrote:There are a few anthroponotic diseases, I think tuberculosis may be one.
Shame on me! Indeed. I was thinking purely of RI
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
- ExtremeJustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 198
- Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Tampa,Florida
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
We did everything we could but couldn't save her. The vet had only given her a 20% chance of survival. This is the 2nd animal I lost within 24 hours (the other being a seemingly healthy bunny that suddenly died). The vet said that the 2 deaths weren't related---just horrible timing. I had just set out food for Inari a couple days before this. She was active and I didn't do a close-up exam of her because of that. Within a couple of days she was severely dehydrated and had lost two fifths of her body weight. I wish I had checked her out more closely. She keeps to herself and never really took to handling so I only take her out to clean her cage, to examine her, or to clip nails, etc. As soon as I realized she was sick I called the vet and got the earliest appointment I could.
Justin
Justin
No, it's a SKINK not a SKUNK. Er, no, it's not a Blue Tongued Skank---although I do think I dated one of those at some point.
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
• 0.1.0 Eastern Blue Tongued Skink (Thor[a])
R.I.P:
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko (Lou)
1.0.0 Dwarf Bunny (Mars, the Tie Dye Bunny)
• 0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Inari)
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss. Reptiles can hide disease/illness VERY well, and as a result, one can hit extremely hard and fast. You did the best you could, try not to beat yourself up. Its hard not to do, but you did the responsible thing for her.


~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
I am so sorry for your loss
You gave her the best care, try to find some comfort in that!
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
I know your pain. 

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
-
IchliebeTiere
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 91
- Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Kentucky
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Especially 2 in one day, one is hard enough.
- El Lobo
- The Blotched Brigade

- Posts: 3405
- Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mountains Australia
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
I'm sorry you lost both pets and so close together.
Have you thought of having a necropsy performed on either or both to determine the cause?
If you wish to post some details of the rabbit I may be able to offer some information by way of explanation.
Have you thought of having a necropsy performed on either or both to determine the cause?
If you wish to post some details of the rabbit I may be able to offer some information by way of explanation.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
Sorry for your loss.
I would do a necropsy as Norm suggests.
I think with a little bit of story, we could help you.
I would do a necropsy as Norm suggests.
I think with a little bit of story, we could help you.
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
- UroFreak13
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Montreal,Canada
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
So sorry
- crm2000
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 131
- Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 pm
- Country:
- Location: North America
Re: Inari going to the vet tomorrow
Oh my gosh I am so sorry after reading this I got really sad took a shower now my nose is bleeding NOW IM DOUBLE SAD... I AM SOOOO SORRY!!


Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests
