The Skink Grey
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Lahb999
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 48
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
The Skink Grey
Ok. I have been looking at local skinks in Durham region. All the skinks I have seen are a grey coulor, to a dark white with dark banding along the back. Is this the common type of Bts, what is this species I have seen so many of them.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: The Skink Grey
http://www.ontarionature.org/protect/sp ... _skink.php
The Five-Lined Skink; might this be the culprit?
BTS are only found in Australia/Indonesia and the surrounding isles, but skinks of various species can be found all over the world
BTS are also much larger than 5-lines.
The Five-Lined Skink; might this be the culprit?
BTS are only found in Australia/Indonesia and the surrounding isles, but skinks of various species can be found all over the world
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
Lahb999
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 48
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: The Skink Grey
No, it Ida blue tounged skink, full sized skink
Sort of looks like a pale small merauke
Sort of looks like a pale small merauke
-
Lahb999
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 48
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: The Skink Grey
No sorry it is in pet stores, not the wild
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: The Skink Grey
Oh, I get it now. Hmm, if the bands are thick it's probably an IJ, if they're thin it's probably a Merauke. Those are both quite common as WC blueys in pet stores.
On the main site (bluetongueskinks.net) take a look at all the species and see if any match. And also check out here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20330 for help IDing the Indonesian species.
On the main site (bluetongueskinks.net) take a look at all the species and see if any match. And also check out here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=20330 for help IDing the Indonesian species.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
Lahb999
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 48
- Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: The Skink Grey
They must be silver merauke, are they common and do you have any pics?
But the one thing is these skinks are not nearly long as my adult new merauke noam
But the one thing is these skinks are not nearly long as my adult new merauke noam
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: The Skink Grey
Could they possibly be pink tongued skinks? I'm not sure how common they are up in Canada.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: The Skink Grey
Maybe Axanthic? A Grey Merauke? Just shooting some ideas.
Which does it look like?
Which does it look like?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: The Skink Grey
Great photos!
1) Black & white halmahera indonesian
2) Silver tanimbar
3) Classic merauke
The most likely option is a Merauke, but technically all 3 are possible.
1) Black & white halmahera indonesian
2) Silver tanimbar
3) Classic merauke
The most likely option is a Merauke, but technically all 3 are possible.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: The Skink Grey
If I seen an Axanthic BTS in a pet store, I would pass out.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: The Skink Grey
dakotanivens wrote:If I seen an Axanthic BTS in a pet store, I would pass out.
You're kinda obsessed with axanthic, aren't you?
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: The Skink Grey
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me it's actually a genetic axanthic trait. Until then I call them black & whites. I want them either way, but would love for someone to give actual genetic proof.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: The Skink Grey
Fatal_S wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to tell me it's actually a genetic axanthic trait. Until then I call them black & whites. I want them either way, but would love for someone to give actual genetic proof.
Nature sure makes us wonder!
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- Dakota
- Snail Hunter

- Posts: 5212
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm
- Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens
- Country: US
Re: The Skink Grey
Katrina wrote:dakotanivens wrote:If I seen an Axanthic BTS in a pet store, I would pass out.
You're kinda obsessed with axanthic, aren't you?
Yes. They are such beauties! I remember when I first got into BTS, and when I came across these guys.. I have been hooked from then on.
I know an importer that gets them from time to time, I sure hope I have the money, when they get one in.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: The Skink Grey
Lahb999 wrote:Ok. I have been looking at local skinks in Durham region. All the skinks I have seen are a grey coulor, to a dark white with dark banding along the back. Is this the common type of Bts, what is this species I have seen so many of them.
Might I suggest http://www.melsexotics.ca instead?
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 372 guests
