To piggyback off Ty's thread, I figured I would ask for some input on my BTS since she came from the same clutch as his.
She is ALWAYS hiding. Whether burrowed in her bedding, or in one of her hides. Every once in a while she will
Be basking, and as soon as I walk in the room she crawls into a hide and looks away. She is so uninterested in everything, and I understand bluesy are not mammals, but after reading Ty's thread, she has really got me worried.
Even when I put food in, she doesn't go after it. I literally have to pick her up and feed her on my lap for her to eat. Basking spot is 102-105, cool side is 72-75. I clean her viv almost daily, she is in a quiet nice spot, huge viv, huge bowl of fresh water, lots of veggies, meal worms, super worms, calcium dust, etc.
I feel bad digging her out to interact, but after the initial huffing, once I get her out she is great. She sits on my shoulder for hours while I watch tv!!
Should I be worried with this behavior ? Any tips or am I just over thinking it ? I will post pics of the viv when I get home tonight if that helps
Help me out? Always hiding !
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Help me out? Always hiding !
Basking spot is a bit hot, 95-100 is pretty much the hottest it should be. Cool side sounds find though. You are probably disturbing her too much cleaning her viv daily, I clean mine once a week, and considering mine only poop every 3-7 days depending on how much they eat, it works out great. Hiding is normal. Many of mine hide all day long until I come in and then they come out to see whats happening 
She could have nothing to do and so is sleeping, you could provide new cage items/hides/etc for her to explore, or rearrange her cage furniture every so often. Mine seem to enjoy exploring their newly arranged digs
Doesnt sound like there is anything at all to worry about whatsoever! Every single skink is going to be different, from the same litter or from one halfway across the world. Hope this helps you feel better!
She could have nothing to do and so is sleeping, you could provide new cage items/hides/etc for her to explore, or rearrange her cage furniture every so often. Mine seem to enjoy exploring their newly arranged digs
Doesnt sound like there is anything at all to worry about whatsoever! Every single skink is going to be different, from the same litter or from one halfway across the world. Hope this helps you feel better!
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Help me out? Always hiding !
Would love to see photos of the setup. How often are you feeding her? I would cut back on her feeding until she actually shows interest in the food offered.
I see no issue with your temps, look great to me. My tile tends to be 105-110 through the day.
I also only clean about weekly (usually whenever I offer food I do a quick spot-check). She could simply be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the activity and constant food - she doesn't have to do anything to get attention, it'll come whether she wants it or not. For now, try to cut back on bothering her. Offer food every few days, leave it in the tank, and clean as you do so. See if she starts taking more of an interest in food/attention once it's not always there?
Does she show interest in new things in her tank?
I see no issue with your temps, look great to me. My tile tends to be 105-110 through the day.
I also only clean about weekly (usually whenever I offer food I do a quick spot-check). She could simply be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the activity and constant food - she doesn't have to do anything to get attention, it'll come whether she wants it or not. For now, try to cut back on bothering her. Offer food every few days, leave it in the tank, and clean as you do so. See if she starts taking more of an interest in food/attention once it's not always there?
Does she show interest in new things in her tank?
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Help me out? Always hiding !
Thanks for the info ! It's really weird, because she seems to go out of her way to avoid me, but as soon as I have her out she is amazing. She has never tried to bite me or anything as soon as she's out. I am changing her tank around pretty often in terms of different hides, etc. and last week I actually split her tank in half. One half aspen, the other half reptile carpet, to give her more options
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Help me out? Always hiding !
i highly recommend adding background, and maybe even something on the sides, to heighten comfort of the skink. might do the trick, along with what everyone else said.
id also say, moving around stuff that often is a bit too much. puts a lot of stress on the skink. in my opinion the hides should be as stationary as possible, they like to know where it is safe to sleep and such. a new skink will go out of his/her way to try all possible hiding spots before claimign the best, then soemtimes change sleeping places spontaneously.
id also say, moving around stuff that often is a bit too much. puts a lot of stress on the skink. in my opinion the hides should be as stationary as possible, they like to know where it is safe to sleep and such. a new skink will go out of his/her way to try all possible hiding spots before claimign the best, then soemtimes change sleeping places spontaneously.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- BruinsEv
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 209
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: Help me out? Always hiding !
Linnea wrote:i highly recommend adding background, and maybe even something on the sides, to heighten comfort of the skink. might do the trick, along with what everyone else said.
id also say, moving around stuff that often is a bit too much. puts a lot of stress on the skink. in my opinion the hides should be as stationary as possible, they like to know where it is safe to sleep and such. a new skink will go out of his/her way to try all possible hiding spots before claimign the best, then soemtimes change sleeping places spontaneously.
Thanks Linnea. I have been meaning to get the back filled for a while. Maybe I will head to Wal-mart this weekend and get some nice wallpaper or something! And yeah, I agree about leaving her alone. I need to stop responding to her like a mammal, and realize that she has different needs/wants.
Thanks a lot!
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 183 guests


