Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
I am trying to come up with a good yet economical plan for a skink "nursery". I would love to see pictures of what others have done. I have 1 possibly gravid skink, and need to be prepared for babies end March/early April. One of my biggest questions is do they need both heat plus extra day light, or can you use something like heat tape for heat? I have been thinking of getting plastic containers, something like this; http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3.7 ... 0/20699636, then I could just add some holes in the top for air. I know there are many different options, so please share how you have set up your housing for babies, Thanks!
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
Any suggestions? I want to set this up 2-3 weeks before I am expecting them to be born, just in case.
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
U can use just heat tspe,especially if tubs get a good amount of light ,probably a good way to go with juvie northerns with housing them seperatly
U may need a fair few tubs
U may need a fair few tubs
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
In my opinion, it depends on how long you plan to keep them in your set up. I generally sell all of my babies in 2 months or less, so I am comfortable keeping them in shoebox size tubs with heat tape at the back for that long. I have pretty bright light shining on them from the outside of the tubs during the day too. Here is one of my baby racks:

Any skinks that I keep longer than that go into larger tubs in similar racks until they move into permanent enclosures or go to a new home.

Any skinks that I keep longer than that go into larger tubs in similar racks until they move into permanent enclosures or go to a new home.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
Thanks! Great picture Jeff! I have found 16qt. plastic tubs which are 17"L X 12"W X 7" H This will only be for the 1st 6weeks or so, I plan to sell all starting at 4 wks old. If I still have any past 8 wks old I would move them to bigger housing. I plan to put the totes on a rack near a window for light, then use the heat tape for heat. Of course I may get this all set up and no babies
, but hopefully there will be some. I really think my female is Gravid, she basks constantly, has started to eat again after a 3 week break, and is getting wider just in the tummy area.
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
I am bringing this back up to ask another question. Jeff in your picture it looks like you are just using the Heat tape as the heating source, is this correct. I was not planning to have a basking light, only daylight for them, and using flex watt heat tape for heat on 1 end. Just want to be sure this is a good plan before I finish it all off. I am turning a small walk in closet into a skink "nursery". My husband did all the electrical wiring this weekend, so I will be finishing this up next weekend. I have all my plastic totes, just waiting on the Heat tape, and cords.
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
Yes, their only heat is Flexwatt on the back wall. I try to create a photo period with lighting in front of the racks. The ambient temperature in the room where these are is 78-80f, so they would probably be ok without any heating at all. They do move back and forth in the tubs though, so I think they use it.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
My Flex Watt Heat tape will be at one end, on the bottom. They need a a hot end of 95-100 to digest food properly right?
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
No. That is ideal, but it doesn't need to be that warm. I wouldn't keep them like that long-term, but for the few weeks that I have them like this they do fine. They eat like pigs, and poop regularly. The "hot" end of this rack never hits 90.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
Ok, I understand! Thanks for the info. Just making sure I get this right.
- StaceyLeigh
- Northern Love

- Posts: 1576
- Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: CNY
- Contact:
Re: Ideas for Skink "nursery" Pictures?
Ok finishing up the "skink Nursery" this weekend in anticipation of Calypso's babies. Posted a picture of one side. It is a closet I re-did for this project. I have a question about the top of the totes. Keep them on and drill holes, or can they be left off, as babies are too small to get out? I am using 4" flex watt heat tape on the bottom of one end, you can see this in the picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 373 guests
