Ultrasound

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Ultrasound

Postby Hazeee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm looking to get my BTS an ultrasound and I've only found two local clinics that deal with reptiles. The first one is currently closed but the second one was not and I was able to get prices.

Their rates would be $43.60 per skink and $150 for an ultrasound. I am wondering if these prices seem normal because from the video's I've seen ultrasounds are fairly easy to do.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Ultrasound

Postby Bird_Brain » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:19 pm

What's the reason for an ultrasound? Not only are you paying them for the time and knowledge, you are basically paying rent to use the machine. Ultrasound equipment is not cheap.
Brad
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: Ultrasound

Postby Hazeee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:20 pm

ReptileKing wrote:What's the reason for an ultrasound? Not only are you paying them for the time and knowledge, you are basically paying rent to use the machine. Ultrasound equipment is not cheap.


I understand that, just wondering if those are good rates for a clinic.

I'm wanting an ultrasound on my female to check if she's gravid.
User avatar
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott
Posts: 4362
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 am
Country:
Location: Central Victoria, Australia

Re: Ultrasound

Postby Scotts1au » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:23 pm

In some ways, while it would be nice to know, you'lle find out one way or the other. You can get an idea if you see rapid weight gain.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: Ultrasound

Postby Bird_Brain » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 pm

IMO, I would not waste the money to determine if she's gravid. As far as the going rate, it's going to vary by location. But that was what I would expect
Brad
Hazeee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 am
Country:
Location: California

Re: Ultrasound

Postby Hazeee » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 pm

That's true, I'll probably just take them in for check ups and continue with this every 6 months. I know some local reptile shops do their own ultrasounds so I'll contact them about it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 380 guests