Cypress mulch
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
blazew97
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Cypress mulch
I am planning on changing from aspen bedding to cypress mulch in order to maintain humidity a bit better. I am curious on whether cypress mulch is a good or bad bedding. Thanks
-
Kcjames
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia
Re: Cypress mulch
I use forest floor bedding. I saw cypress mulch at the hardware store and it was much less expensive. I have no idea how safe it is though. Mine seems to like the forest floor. I use half that and the other half is lizard litter type bedding, he likes the softness I think to dig. The mulch definitely holds moisture better. His humid hide was his favorite place when he was shedding.
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: Cypress mulch
I use a combination of both
On the warm sunny spots the Aspen, and on the cooler side mulch.
On the warm sunny spots the Aspen, and on the cooler side mulch.
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: Cypress mulch
Cypress is alright, but it does tend to dry out relatively quickly. I like mixing mine with either orchid bark or moss to retain moisture a bit better. It holds up for a long time, which is nice. I use it for most of my tropical species at home, but I also add about a pint or two of water to each 3' enclosure every few days due to living in an extremely dry area.
-Jen
-Jen
I used to be cool.
-
Kcjames
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 58
- Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia
Re: Cypress mulch
I was thinking of using moss but I'm worried about impaction if he ingests it or getting it wrapped around his feet to tail or something....
What kind do you use?
The only one I'm familiar with is pillow moss because that's what I have used for my frogs in the past.
What kind do you use?
The only one I'm familiar with is pillow moss because that's what I have used for my frogs in the past.
-
hurricanejen
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 337
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
- Country: USA
- Location: San_Diego
- Contact:
Re: Cypress mulch
I use either green sphagnum or new zealand sphagnum. Never had an issue with impaction or tangles, and I've been using it personally for the last 5 1/2 years... 
I used to be cool.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 201 guests
