Hey everyone-
Having some issues with Ajax "climbing" the walls of his tank constantly. I read about how this can be exacerbated by the openness of the sides, so I covered two of them with blankets- still to no avail. Oddly enough the sides that are covered are the ones he still tries to escape from the most... Are those clings the only things that will help this issue? I realize it isn't SUCH a big deal, but I feel like it'd be a shame to have him develop a kink in his back because I couldn't figure out how to make him stop. Any ideas?
Glass climbing??
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
marisa
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 47
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia, United States
- Contact:
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Glass climbing??
You could also try paper, might be easier, and if hes still climbing, give him things to explore. PVC tubes, cleaned pringles cans, a hand towel to burrow in....there are tons of things that are fun for skinks to explore. Also, depending on what the weather is like in your area, he could be in "find a girlfriend" mode 
You could also take him out for some exploring
You could also take him out for some exploring
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Katydid11
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 73
- Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:38 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ithaca, NY
Re: Glass climbing??
Painter's tape also helps limit sight and doesn't (usually) make the tank sticky. I'd agree that it's likely he's looking for love 

• 1.0 Eastern- "Sasujee"
• 0.1 Northern
• 2.3 Dogs- Mixed breed variety pack- "Francie", "Mooshu", "Charlie", "Mogwai", "Clover"
• 1.0 Cat- "Sally"
• 7.0 foster rats
• 4.6 Birmingham Roller Pigeons
• 21.4 Chickens
• 0.1 Northern
• 2.3 Dogs- Mixed breed variety pack- "Francie", "Mooshu", "Charlie", "Mogwai", "Clover"
• 1.0 Cat- "Sally"
• 7.0 foster rats
• 4.6 Birmingham Roller Pigeons
• 21.4 Chickens
- Lauriek
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1918
- Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:51 am
- Country:
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Glass climbing??
Quite often, climbing the sides of the tank can indicate boy skink wanting out to find girl skink
However, Bliss, one of my females will also try and climb.
I either take her out - intellectual stimulation; give her something to eat - often she's hungry; or re-arrange something in her cage to relieve boredom, because they do get bored.
You could take Ajax out for a while; feed him; and, put some 'interesting things' in his cage. I find scrunched up paper good. Cardboard tubes; something to crawl through. Something to climb over. Put him in a different box with different objects. I put a couple of blotchies in a large cardboard box with some large paper bags, straw, scrunched up paper. Kept them entertained for a couple of hours.
However, Bliss, one of my females will also try and climb.
I either take her out - intellectual stimulation; give her something to eat - often she's hungry; or re-arrange something in her cage to relieve boredom, because they do get bored.
You could take Ajax out for a while; feed him; and, put some 'interesting things' in his cage. I find scrunched up paper good. Cardboard tubes; something to crawl through. Something to climb over. Put him in a different box with different objects. I put a couple of blotchies in a large cardboard box with some large paper bags, straw, scrunched up paper. Kept them entertained for a couple of hours.
Laurie & A Band O' Blotchies - Bliss (RIP). Barnum the Old Blotchie. Binti, the rescued Blotchie. The Shingles - Solomon & Sheba (Miss Houdini)
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
Be humble, because you are made of the Earth. Be noble, because you are made of the Stars. - Serbian proverb.
-
marisa
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 47
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia, United States
- Contact:
Re: Glass climbing??
Hey guys! Thanks for your replies. I'm fairly certain that he isn't looking for a girlfriend (though that'd be cute) because "he" isn't for certain a "he" because he's only about 7 months old, haha.
So that'd make him just about the most rambunctious little flirt of a BTS ever...
Anyway, I will try using the paper idea first... I probably need to get him a few more "toys" to explore in his tank. Right now I've got a cork bark log he loves to climb around, a little stone shelter that also serves as his basking rock, two fake tall grass plants, and his large water dish. I suppose it would help if I got some of that awesome looking fake grass in another recent post I just read on here. When he's out he also loves to burrow in pockets, blankets, and tunnel through paper towel tubes... so maybe I'll stick some of those in there too.
Thanks for the advice guys!
So that'd make him just about the most rambunctious little flirt of a BTS ever...
Anyway, I will try using the paper idea first... I probably need to get him a few more "toys" to explore in his tank. Right now I've got a cork bark log he loves to climb around, a little stone shelter that also serves as his basking rock, two fake tall grass plants, and his large water dish. I suppose it would help if I got some of that awesome looking fake grass in another recent post I just read on here. When he's out he also loves to burrow in pockets, blankets, and tunnel through paper towel tubes... so maybe I'll stick some of those in there too.
Thanks for the advice guys!
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Glass climbing??
You can also try more substrate in the tank. I don't know what your tank looks like but if her/she doesn't feel secure, they could be looking for a better hiding spot? Also, pingpong balls. Best reptile toy ever. Both my BTS and my leo tort have them all the time to play with. They go for a few weeks untouched and then I will come home from work and find them in a water dish.
Cay T.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 232 guests
