Two months of BTS
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Lsck
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Two months of BTS
Hi, I've had my BTS Isabel for two months now, though she still seems frightened/timid; is there anything you know of to do to make her comfortable? She puffs up when I move m hand near her, and she rarely seems to enjoy anything other than sitting... When I take her out, she seems different, though, yet she still resents the presence of my hand. Any thoughts?
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
-
Lsck
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Two months of BTS
ReptileKing wrote:Tell us more about your skink. Species, age, place you purchased, etc.
She is a northern, purchased when she was a baby from Bonita Galas online, she arrived 12/07/2012 (mm/dd/yyyy). She may have been two months at the time? I don't remember exactly.
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Two months of BTS
And here I thought for sure it was going to be a wild caught adult indo!
Really, IMO, there isn't much you can do. I have found each bts will respond differently to the presence of a human. If you are moving your hand above the skink, it may be seeing it as a predator (such as a bird) attacking from above. I believe there is a good write up on taming in the FAQ section.
Really, IMO, there isn't much you can do. I have found each bts will respond differently to the presence of a human. If you are moving your hand above the skink, it may be seeing it as a predator (such as a bird) attacking from above. I believe there is a good write up on taming in the FAQ section.
Brad
-
Lsck
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Two months of BTS
ReptileKing wrote: I believe there is a good write up on taming in the FAQ section.
I've read it multiple times.
She seems to have gotten better in the past month, though she is still not nearly as tame as I wish.
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Two months of BTS
if shes just 4 months shes still a young skink, and the younger the more easily frightened.
if you continue to work on it, she might calm down more in time.
im also currently working on taming down an easily frightened skink, but its a large adult
what i noticed is also how much he resents the presence of my hands. he very easily forgets it if he gets treats and food, something ive been utilizing to make him more comfortable.
a hand that moves quick from above is scary, a hand that comes a little slower from eye level is easier. if you need to pick your skink up, be very determined and decesive to minimize stress
if you continue to work on it, she might calm down more in time.
im also currently working on taming down an easily frightened skink, but its a large adult
what i noticed is also how much he resents the presence of my hands. he very easily forgets it if he gets treats and food, something ive been utilizing to make him more comfortable.
a hand that moves quick from above is scary, a hand that comes a little slower from eye level is easier. if you need to pick your skink up, be very determined and decesive to minimize stress
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
-
Lsck
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Two months of BTS
Linnea wrote:a hand that moves quick from above is scary, a hand that comes a little slower from eye level is easier. if you need to pick your skink up, be very determined and decesive to minimize stress
The problem is, when I do that, she thinks my fingers are food.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Two months of BTS
Lsck wrote:ReptileKing wrote: I believe there is a good write up on taming in the FAQ section.
I've read it multiple times.
She seems to have gotten better in the past month, though she is still not nearly as tame as I wish.
Some skinks will never be super friendly - they all have individual personalities just like people.
Are you hand feeding her or giving her any reason to think your hands might be food?
-
Lsck
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Two months of BTS
Katrina wrote:Are you hand feeding her or giving her any reason to think your hands might be food?
I sometimes dangle a cricket above her, but she avoids my fingers when I do. I put food on a small plate and then into the tank.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Two months of BTS
Lsck wrote:Katrina wrote:Are you hand feeding her or giving her any reason to think your hands might be food?
I sometimes dangle a cricket above her, but she avoids my fingers when I do. I put food on a small plate and then into the tank.
No wonder she thinks your fingers are food or might have food in them! Buy tongs or feeding tweezers so she won't associate your fingers with delivering tasty treats, then when you want to handle her she won't be trying to see if your wiggling fingers have food like last time.
- donkeybuff
- Coffee Connoisseur

- Posts: 1592
- Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: California
Re: Two months of BTS
Also, two months is nothing when it comes to taming reptiles. Some are tame right off the bat, and others take years to calm down. In your case, it will probably only take a few more months.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
-
Lsck
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Two months of BTS
donkeybuff wrote:Also, two months is nothing when it comes to taming reptiles. Some are tame right off the bat, and others take years to calm down. In your case, it will probably only take a few more months.
Maybe. Also, does your skink like to climb onto your shoulder or head? Mine does that every time I take her out.
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Re: Two months of BTS
Most do try to scramble up to shoulders or heads but it isn't safe so don't carry them around up there. They can't hold on well at all, they are ground dwellers.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 298 guests
