New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Pierre-Luc
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm
Country:
Location: Canada, Quebec, Longueuil

New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby Pierre-Luc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 pm

Hello I'm new to this magnificent site/forum full of useful advice :)

I need help to find if what kind is my Male I'd tend to say Indonesian, and female Irian Jaya, but i will leave it to you're expert eyes

And if my Female is a bit too fat what would you suggest in her Diet

Her old master usually fed her everyday and when i pick her up she is so compact .

Thank for all the advice you will be able to give :)

if you see somethign i should change Go on! im ok for constructive remarks heh


/Pierre-Luc Bouchard


Here is my Male Ouroboros:
Image
Image
and One Last for the male :)
Image

and Oh the Love!!
Image

and The Female Lily
Image
marisa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia, United States
Contact:

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby marisa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

The male is Merauke, I'd say. The female looks to be an IJ. As far as feeding goes, if they're adults, they should only be fed once every 3-7 days... the female does look a bit chunky but she's definitely adorable! The male looks to be a great weight and is gorgeous too. I would wait to see what some of the more experienced owners have to say about diet, but if it were me I'd be upping the veggies a bit in proportion to the protein and only feeding once every 4 days, maximum. They both look so shiny!! Love it.
marisa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia, United States
Contact:

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby marisa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Actually. I don't know. I'm rethinking the male ID... could definitely be Indo. But some of the others will def chime in.
Pierre-Luc
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm
Country:
Location: Canada, Quebec, Longueuil

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby Pierre-Luc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm

i usually feed them a bit ever 2-3 days
Pierre-Luc
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm
Country:
Location: Canada, Quebec, Longueuil

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby Pierre-Luc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:25 pm

I had the same problem im Between ID and Merauke
marisa
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia, United States
Contact:

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby marisa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Honestly the more I look at it, the more I think Indo.
User avatar
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
Country: USA

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby Karen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 pm

From the pattern and head scalation of the male, I'd say Indo. Can't see the head too clearly on the female, but looks like she might be an IJ/Merauke mix. Jeff just wrote up a good post on skinks from Indonesia: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22347

The female does look a bit overweight. I feed my skinks once a week on dogfood and mixed veggies. Marisa makes a good point about upping the veggie to protein ratio a bit to help slim her down.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm

The male is at least Indonesian, perhaps with Merauke influence, I'm not call him a definite inter-grade for fear of starting another debate.
James Wilson once said:
one thing to look at is the tail. The gigas gigas tail pattern usually breaks up with age and devolopes a more granite look to it.


The female is an EXTREMELY overweight plain ol' IJ
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
Pierre-Luc
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm
Country:
Location: Canada, Quebec, Longueuil

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby Pierre-Luc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Her diet consist of around 70% veggies but ok i will feed them on longer intervals
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: New BTS and New to BTS universe ^^

Postby Spindown » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm

I'd say the male is Indo, although he has hints of merauke in his look :D
The female is a very chubby IJ :P
They are both very cute :)

Adults can be fed once a week, just so you know. Mine are all on a weekly feeding schedule.

ML, I've seen MUCH more obese skinks than that female, she just needs a longer feeding period than what she has now...and maybe some portion control! I'm doing this to my cat right now, and hes not very happy with me :D
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests