Hi everyone! I hope that you all have had a great holiday season! I haven't posted much on here lately, but I'm back, and
I have a question about Juno. The scales on her tail and a bit on her belly feel dry, is there anything that I can put on her to help with that?
Thank you!
Question about dry scales
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Question about dry scales
just curious, whats the humidity in her enclosure? 
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Question about dry scales
Easiest solution is a moist hide. Basically, a tupperware, with a hole cut as an entry, filled with something like spaghnum moss. Kept moist, it gives the reptile the option to be more or less humid, and the reptile will generally look after itself and resolve the issue.
Do not put things on her. The environment is simply not ideal, and should be adjusted. Moist hide is one option. Substrates that hold humidity are another. Regular misting of the tank is another. I prefer the humid hide.
Do not put things on her. The environment is simply not ideal, and should be adjusted. Moist hide is one option. Substrates that hold humidity are another. Regular misting of the tank is another. I prefer the humid hide.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: Question about dry scales
Bella3, I had the same problem with Stubbs! The humidity in his enclosure was 16% and I think that was what was effecting his health. After about 6 months of low humidity his belly scales got dry and raised and his mouth scales started to get infected. I finally moved his enclosure into a room with two big fish tanks. The humidity now ranges from 30%-50% The difference is amazing after just two weeks! His belly scales are soft again and with the help of a little betadine his mouth has healed!
The moist hides and misting didn't help me. However, I have a friend that has a skink and he bathes him in the tub often.
The moist hides and misting didn't help me. However, I have a friend that has a skink and he bathes him in the tub often.
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Question about dry scales
i use cocopeat on the hot end of my tanks. worked wonders when i started having low humidity issues. just have to mist it daily (i have an open tank so otherwise itd need even less misting of course)
- dsteamn
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 654
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Re: Question about dry scales
Mine likes to soak in his water bowl. I use a large pyrex baking dish so he can get his whole body down in the water. I dampen the mulch down to help with the dryness. I also use Emu oil which helps to soften his skin until the environment gets things turned around for him. You can usually find it in health food stores. Its a bit pricey, but a couple of drops are all you need. They love it and sort of melt in my hand when I start applying it.
- Lea
- Patron Saint of Blueys

- Posts: 4261
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
- Country:
- Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Re: Question about dry scales
Agreed with the misting or humid hides. It's been close to 40 degrees here this last week or so and darn hot! There is next to no humidity and the skinks have remained burrowed in the dirt to escape such drying conditions. I've been spraying a light rain of water over the whole enclosure in the evenings to help prevent it drying completely. The shinglebacks seem to love it and come out for a shower, holding their heads up to the water dripping down and my eastern looks in heaven. I think it's a soothing relief to the constant heat of the day and I'm sure the same goes for a humid hide.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Question about dry scales
humidity in my tanks dropped rapidly today. got to 41.8 degrees which is a big deal for Tassie lol. humidity went from 37% down to 18% within the hour. a few mistings today
-
bella3
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 354
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: Ontario Canada
Re: Question about dry scales
Okay, thank you so much everyone! I have added a moist hide, and will mist the tank until her scales are back to normal:) I do not have a digital hydrometer (is that what they are called?) but and going to buy one this weekend as the one I have is obviously innacurate and is reading almost 30% !! Thanks again for the advice 
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Question about dry scales
i keep my tanks between 30 and 40% humidity 
- Coomassie
- The Inked Chemist

- Posts: 1826
- Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
- Country:
- Location: Newark, DE
Re: Question about dry scales
I had the same problem with Coomassie when he was on Aspen. I changed him over to cypress and no problems since.
Cay T.
- dsteamn
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 654
- Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Re: Question about dry scales
What do you measure your humidity with?
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 241 guests
