New indo
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
johntexaustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: alaska
New indo
I just recently got what I believe to be an Indonesian blue tongue. Correct me if I am wrong. This is my first BTS. I have been wanting one for awhile now and I finally found one. I am in Alaska and they are hard to find up here. I know most Indo BTS are said to be WC but I believe this one to be CB. I checked him out very closely and he has all of his toes and no scares or scratches. I am told that those things would be a good indicator if it was WC or CB. He arrived at the pet store one day and I picked him up the very next day. I didnt want him there any longer then he had to be. I know he is stressed out from all the traveling and the change of hands. The pet store said he came from a breeder in Cali but not much else. I am pretty sure he is less then a year old. I am thinking about 6 months or maybe even 8 months. Well so far he hisses at me and snaps torwards me but doesn't actually try and bit me. The first few days he would just hide all day. He eats but always waits for me to leave the room. Now I see him on his basking spot and I have even seen him drink water. I anyone could take a look at this pic and tell me if you agree with me about it being an Indo or not. The second pic is when he was at the pet store.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Bluish
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 370
- Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:28 am
- Country:
- Location: Toronto, Canada
Re: New indo
Cute little Indo.
Chances are it's a fairly fresh wild caught. The stores just tell you what you want to hear. Most of the wild caughts I see around here are in good shape. I see far more CB Northerns missing toes etc. than the WC Indos for some strange reason.
How long is your skink?
Chances are it's a fairly fresh wild caught. The stores just tell you what you want to hear. Most of the wild caughts I see around here are in good shape. I see far more CB Northerns missing toes etc. than the WC Indos for some strange reason.
How long is your skink?
Dom
2.6 Meraukes
2.6 Meraukes
-
johntexaustin
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:15 pm
- Country:
- Location: alaska
Re: New indo
He is about 12 to 14 inches long I'm guessing. I didnt take a measuring tape to him but thats about how long he looks. I just took him out and held him for the first time. I noticed he is missing a toe on the back right foot and one that is halfway gone. He hissed at me while I was trying to get him out but once he was out he crawled around on me and was pretty calm. I was suprised. He didnt even try to escape. He just roamed around a little and sat up on my shoulds for awhile and hung out.
- kenn
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 400
- Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
- Country:
- Location: Belgium
Re: New indo
Goodluckk with your new pet! 
Greetings
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
Kenn
Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: New indo
I started with a most likely WC Indo too, but he was about the same size too, about 13.5-14 inches. If you are interested, you can check out his Iherp tracking log. The first entry was "Zerg hates me!" LOL. It shows diet, length (which is fun to see how he grew). I also thought he was a girl at first, not for any reason, just because I didnt actually know (and know I do). The feeding and cleaning log cuts out at a certain point because I just kept track of all the skinks cleaning/feeding in a batch log. Their diets changed at that point also, since I relooked at the "skink approved menu" (aka the diet chart here) and realized that mustard greens are better than collard greens on a regular basis....to a mix of mustard greens, pedigree, squashes, and green beans. I also throw misc. things in there that are good occasionally. Its just in my private log.
Zergs Iherp log: http://iherp.com/HerpTrack/Tracking/Def ... alID=50094
ETA: I found that my Indo was the hardest to socialize and get used to us, out of my (most likely WC) Merauke, the CBB baby IJ I raised, and my CBB Northerns, but that sure doesnt mean its impossible. Being WC, they adjust more slowly to captivity. Patience is key, but the rewards are SO worth it
We love him, hes super awesome. Hes not a lizard I would bring to outreaches or expos or any places with loud crowds, but hes a fantastic pet! (I do take my merauke occasionally, and I plan on bringing my northerns this year to some).
Zergs Iherp log: http://iherp.com/HerpTrack/Tracking/Def ... alID=50094
ETA: I found that my Indo was the hardest to socialize and get used to us, out of my (most likely WC) Merauke, the CBB baby IJ I raised, and my CBB Northerns, but that sure doesnt mean its impossible. Being WC, they adjust more slowly to captivity. Patience is key, but the rewards are SO worth it
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests
