Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Rani-May » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm

im not saying its wrong im just saying it would be frowned upon here. im gathering he gets lots of exercise out of it anyway? :) People here are just VERY protective of reptiles and think certain ways. a guy from one of the after hours rescue checks out your enclosure and all before allowing you to take a BTS. its really quite good :)
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby tiliqua38 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:24 am

Oh, I know you weren't saying it was wrong. Lots of people use the 1.5 x 3 enclosures. But I agree that something more like 2 x 4 is more ideal.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Lea » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:13 am

Welcome to the forum.

Skinks do enjoy some room to move. The bigger the better!
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby tiliqua38 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 am

LeaBilby wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Skinks do enjoy some room to move. The bigger the better!


Thanks, but I've been a member of the forum since 2007!
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby tiliqua38 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:25 am

On my turtle and tortoise forums, some people connect two of these enclosures as well, so that is an option. I was thinking of trying it. Anyway, here is a pic of Bubba out and about in his enclosure. For reference, he is a large BTS at about 24 inches. Another reason I would like to try connecting a second one.
Image
And here is a link to the tub, which I buy at Walmart.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-50- ... m/15940602
Last edited by tiliqua38 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Lea » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:49 am

tiliqua38 wrote:
LeaBilby wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Skinks do enjoy some room to move. The bigger the better!


Thanks, but I've been a member of the forum since 2007!


Sorry ... your subject title misled me.

Well, umm, welcome anyway, even if I am five years too late!
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Lea » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:52 am

I would definitely look at connecting two, if you can. He looks quite a snug fit in there and it must be getting slightly tight on the turn without being able to fully straighten out.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby tiliqua38 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:52 am

LeaBilby wrote:
tiliqua38 wrote:
LeaBilby wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Skinks do enjoy some room to move. The bigger the better!


Thanks, but I've been a member of the forum since 2007!


Sorry ... your subject title misled me.

Well, umm, welcome anyway, even if I am five years too late!

Oh, I'm not the OP of this particular thread. The OP wanted to see how I converted tubs into enclosures, so I was showing the OP.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Lea » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 am

Ok, I must be more tired than I thought! I'm sorry, I'll go back and reread and work out who said what and what's going on!

:doh:
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Lea » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 am

No, I was ok! I was replying to discojaguar in the beginning, but then you quoted me saying you'd been a member for ages- that's when I got mixed up. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, we'll, now I will again welcome disco, in case they missed it and again say that more room would be a benefit, as well as a giving you a more content skink.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby tiliqua38 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 am

Sorry to confuse you!!
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby Lea » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 am

tiliqua38 wrote:Sorry to confuse you!!




No permanent damage done :oi:
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
discojaguar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 am
Country:
Location: United States

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby discojaguar » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:23 pm

LeaBilby wrote:
tiliqua38 wrote:Sorry to confuse you!!




No permanent damage done :oi:



Sorry I am the op! :P I did ask for the tub pictures that have been provided! :). Reason being, I tend to move around a lot and trying to pack up giant glass enclosures makes me a bit nervous.


Thank you for the pictures! I wouldn't have thought of using a 10gallon screen cover like that! I'll definitely be doing that!
tiliqua38
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
Country:

Re: Hello new to the forum with my new NBTS

Postby tiliqua38 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 am

discojaguar wrote:
LeaBilby wrote:
tiliqua38 wrote:Sorry to confuse you!!




No permanent damage done :oi:



Sorry I am the op! :P I did ask for the tub pictures that have been provided! :). Reason being, I tend to move around a lot and trying to pack up giant glass enclosures makes me a bit nervous.


Thank you for the pictures! I wouldn't have thought of using a 10gallon screen cover like that! I'll definitely be doing that!


If you use a screen cover meant for a 15/20H aquarium, the screen cover will lay atop the tub with no problem. If you use a screen cover for a 10 gallon it is just barely long enough to go across the end of the tub so you would have to silicone it on there so it doesn't fall into the enclosure. Does that make sense?
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 267 guests