We're concerned about our BTS Java. Java used to be a big eater, we would eat every other day & normally eat all of his food. For about 8 to 10 weeks now he has gone from eating every other day to once a week or once in every ten days & about a 1/3 of what he used to eat. He is active but not as active as he used to be. We were so concerned we took him to the vet last week & they couldn't find anything wrong with him but he had lost weight since his last visit in July. The vet suggested to make sure his tank was at the right temp, to soak him at least once a week in a steam shower, & to make sure the lights are regulated to 12 hours on 12 hours off same time every day. All of which we have done & no improvement. I have resorted to trying to feed Java his favorite foods (snails from Can o'Snails) & I can usually get him to eat at least 2 to 3 without a problem. Today I fed him 1 snail with tongs & he was every excited. Grabbed it, shook it, & ate it. I then placed his food dish (full) near by & he stalked it then bit the food dish (not any of the food) a few times, gave up & took a nap next to it. Once he woke up he wanted nothing to do with the food. I am not sure what to do at this point? I'm not even sure if I should be worried since the vet was not worried at all but gave us nothing to go on. They are the only reptile vet in town & they said not to worry he seems fine. But I am worried bcos this is not normal behavior for Java.
Backstory: We have had Java since May. Java is almost 2 years old & is very tamed. Eats from our hand, seems to recognize his name, doesn't mind being handled at all. We unfortunately we're given a lot of bad info on how to care for him from the pet store/breeder we purchased him from. We didn't realize until late June that he had mites. That's when I found this site & got all the info we needed to fix the situation & took him to the vet just to make sure he was OK. We have a lot of guilt surrounding Java since it took us so long to figure out he had mites & as well as not knowing the proper care for him. He recovered nicely then started this not wanting to eat.
Thank you for your time & consideration, Geo aka Java's mom
Any suggestions on what to do?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Geo
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
- Contact:
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
- Geo
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
- Contact:
Re: Any suggestions on what to do?
Is there anything I should do if he is brumating?
Last edited by Geo on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Geo
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
- Contact:
Re: Any suggestions on what to do?
Just read the brumation info above & I believe he is brumating. It's been about 8 weeks now although his enclosure has been at a constant temp. He has lost weight most likely bcos his enclosure has stayed the same temp. Our biggest problem with temp is at night. We haven't been turning off his heat lamp at night bcos it gets under 60 degrees even though our house is set to a constant 68 degrees. So his tank always has a warm side & a cool side that stays about 70 to 75. Any suggestions on what to do next?
- Emz3
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 105
- Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm
- Country:
- Location: Colorado, US
Re: Any suggestions on what to do?
Hi Geo!
I agree with Reptile King. It sounds like what my two skinks are going through right now! I live in Colorado and about 2 months ago I noticed my two kids really starting to slow down. They went from eating a full saucer plate of food between the both of them to less than a third of a plate once a week. They have also been sleeping a lot more! I think it's a combination of the cooler/dryer temperatures sending them into brumation. I tried to keep them from brumating, but I think they are.
I would recommend what I've been doing:
1.) Monitor weight and health. If things drastically change contact your vet.
2.) Continue to offer food weekly and fresh water daily.
3.) Keep your temps and humidity as you have them. Try not to let your night time temps drop into the 60s.
I'm still a novice owner. See what other more experienced owners say too.
I agree with Reptile King. It sounds like what my two skinks are going through right now! I live in Colorado and about 2 months ago I noticed my two kids really starting to slow down. They went from eating a full saucer plate of food between the both of them to less than a third of a plate once a week. They have also been sleeping a lot more! I think it's a combination of the cooler/dryer temperatures sending them into brumation. I tried to keep them from brumating, but I think they are.
I would recommend what I've been doing:
1.) Monitor weight and health. If things drastically change contact your vet.
2.) Continue to offer food weekly and fresh water daily.
3.) Keep your temps and humidity as you have them. Try not to let your night time temps drop into the 60s.
I'm still a novice owner. See what other more experienced owners say too.
- Geo
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
- Contact:
Re: Any suggestions on what to do?
I really appreciate the advice. Thank you so much
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Any suggestions on what to do?
I let night temps drop,for my northerns,but my aim is brumating them,night temps for me in cool season are well under 60 degrees farenhite,but still have day heat,being tropical animals i try to mimick the wet and dry season temps,but i dont do the humidity thing to mimick rainy season ect
If trying to keep them active but not being able to get temps up right,they can lose condition, but if you have a decent temp gradient they can go where they need to,sounds like your bluey is doing what my northerns do with the onset of temps cooling outdoors
If trying to keep them active but not being able to get temps up right,they can lose condition, but if you have a decent temp gradient they can go where they need to,sounds like your bluey is doing what my northerns do with the onset of temps cooling outdoors
- Geo
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 40
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Eugene, Oregon USA
- Contact:
Re: Any suggestions on what to do?
thanks everyone
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 159 guests
