Introduction and first question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
stamuetir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am
Country:
Location: Germany

Introduction and first question

Postby stamuetir » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:29 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum, but I've been keeping a bluetongueskink for over 2 years now.
I want to get into breeding some time soon, so I was just wondering I'f you could help me out.
Because frankly I don't know what subspecies my skink is.
The guy I got him from just told me, that they are from Papua new guinea and Indonesia.
Here are some pics.
Thanks in advance. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Halemhara Indonesian (Tiliqua Gigas Gigas)
:lounge:
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Every time I look I change my answer. Most of the time I say "New Merauke" (a Merauke with more colour and thicker bands) but sometimes I think Halmahera Indonesian.

So I'll just say welcome to the forum, please post lots more photos :)
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Fatal_S wrote:Every time I look I change my answer. Most of the time I say "New Merauke" (a Merauke with more colour and thicker bands) but sometimes I think Halmahera Indonesian.

Just do as I do and you shall be find :thumbs:
*walks off cliff*
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
stamuetir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am
Country:
Location: Germany

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby stamuetir » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the fast replies.
Gigas Gigas is what I thought aswell, but I wasn't sure.
Got any Idea on the sex?
I had an ultrasound made by a very good reptile vet, but the mashine is to crappy for him to make out the reproductive organs.
And since I don't have any 100% sexed animal, I can't compare him/her.
Here are some more pics. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Sorry, the Indos can be pretty tough to sex, especially without any others to compare to. :/

What substrate are you keeping it on? Its toes look like they might have some shed or bedding stuck to them.
I used to be cool.
stamuetir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am
Country:
Location: Germany

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby stamuetir » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Substrate is reptibark and its been working great for me.
The toes look like that, because he had some shedding problems about 1 year ago and some of them are missing,
hes been to the vet because of that, but he said that it happens and that he doesn't have any pain and stuff.
hurricanejen
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 am
Country: USA
Location: San_Diego
Contact:

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby hurricanejen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Try soaking him in some water and gently rubbing to get it off. If it gets left, they can keep losing toes. A little bit of lukewarm water and a gentle rub should remove most of the stuck skin and might save the rest of his toes.
I used to be cool.
stamuetir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am
Country:
Location: Germany

Re: Introduction and first question

Postby stamuetir » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Ok, will do so.
Thanks for the advice. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 186 guests