Substrate question
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
SnakeCharmr728
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: bay area, california
Substrate question
I have always used aspen for merauke but I use a spagnum peat moss in my tegu cages, would this be alright for my merauke?
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue
Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue
Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Substrate question
Cypress mulch is the most preferred.
I don't like peat...
I don't like peat...
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Substrate question
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Cypress mulch is the most preferred.
I don't like peat...
To actually answer your question, I see no reason why you can't try that bedding for your skink.
Brad
-
SnakeCharmr728
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 67
- Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 pm
- Country:
- Location: bay area, california
Re: Substrate question
Cypress mulch is very hard to find in my area and to do her cage it would cost well over $50 in substrate and the only type of cypress I can get here happens to be very sharp and pokey.... :/
I was mainly asking because I didn't know if the small loose particles would be too dusty for her since I have read not to sure the fine type of aspen for that reason...
I was mainly asking because I didn't know if the small loose particles would be too dusty for her since I have read not to sure the fine type of aspen for that reason...
www.NorthBayTeguRescue.com
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue
Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
www.facebook.com/northbaytegurescue
Proud Bluey owner of:
1 Merauke cross
1 Irian Jaya
1 Northern
- Bird_Brain
- The Happy Hitman

- Posts: 4079
- Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: Warren, Indiana
Re: Substrate question
I say give it a try. I do use cypress mulch from lowes that is sharp and pokey as well as large chunks. Never an issue. But really just try the peat and see how you like it.
Brad
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 433 guests
