Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
ReptileChick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am
Country:
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Postby ReptileChick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Hey Everyone!
I've had Sly, my Merauke BTS, for a little over a week and last night while I was out he rubbed his nose so much it started to bleed. I get that nose rubbing can be a curiosity thing, lack of space thing or nervous thing but seriously? I pretty much broke down in tears because he was doing so well, the spot on his nose had not broken back open, but then he rubbed a different spot and started to bleed. Does anyone have any recommendations for stuff I can put on it to make it heal faster or without infection. I am really concerned about it and I feel like no one else has this problem to this extent. I've added some pictures to show just how bad it is. He is honestly so perfect besides the nose thing. He already wants to be out cuddling with me, which I thought would take months, and he is curious and eating well. I just want to break him from this so he can be happy and healthy because that's gotta hurt and it makes me want to cry.

Thanks guys! I am so excited to have a place to share my passion for reptiles and be able to ask questions to more experienced owners :)

PS Sorry for the poor quality pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
AnnaMonroe
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
Country:
Location: BROOKLYN, NY
Contact:

Re: Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Postby AnnaMonroe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:19 pm

So sorry that you have to see your bluey in discomfort! I wouldn't be able to tell you why he does the nose rubbing, but one of many options that you can use for his nose is Repti Wound-Healing Aid. I have the 30 mL box. It's used as a topical antiseptic to help heal cuts, burns, and abrasions on reptiles. You just drop a few drops to a Q-tip or cotton ball and gently rub on the area with the cotton ball/swab twice a day.
Good luck, & I hope Sly gets better and heals up soon!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:07 pm

That's a pretty nasty looking nose. My breeder male Northern does that every spring when he's hunting for ladies. Suggestions: Add logs and rocks at the front of the tank so he can't pace as easily. Block some of his view out. Add more hides and foliage.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Postby Richard.C » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:01 am

Whats it rubbing on?

Looks like screen or something,ive never seen that with glass doors ect,though i guess it happens,try adding more furniture like fatal suggested and if mesh is low it needs to be smoother ,aim is ro stop the rubbing,other wise it will be hard for it to heel

Can i ask what the area it rubs on is like,eg mesh,dual glass sliding doors ect,if any sharpish or rougg areas exist they need to be smoothed out
ReptileChick
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am
Country:
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Postby ReptileChick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:24 am

He was rubbing it on screen in his tank that the previous owner had for him which I am currently using until his new tank is finished, we are building him a nice big one. I've been letting him roam freely when I am home with the stupid screen off. He hadn't rubbed his nose all week till the other night. He didn't do a whole lot of damage because I keep a pretty close eye on him when I am home. I know the new cage will help I'm just worried he is going to continue this after. The previous owner did not inform me of this and sent me deceiving pictures of "his setup". So I thought I was getting a package deal when really I was getting a neglected animal with a crappy setup. I really don't mind the extra work it's the worrying if I'm ever going to be able to get him to stop hurting that gets me. He's got lots of hides, I've covered the side of the tank with a blanket and I take him out all the time and he still nose rubs (mostly on the back glass when I see him doing it). I hope the combination of the new cage and talking him out on a regular basis will help. I'll also be getting some of the wound heal stuff too!
Thanks for the advice and support!
You are all awesome!!
User avatar
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower
Posts: 1781
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Sweden

Re: Nose Rubbing Pictures (Advice Please)

Postby Linnea » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am

make sure the wound is kept clean, as the others said. if you see any signs of infection on a wound that is on such a place (close to food and always used to plow through substrate etc) i recommend a quick vet visit, partly because he opens up the wound as well at unknown times.

can you cover the inside of the glass? only the lower parts should be needed, as to not start a fire or anything o__o
he might be going at his reflection even with sides covered on the outside. developed stress response like this ive not seen myself in reptiles, but in mammals badly kept.

what was the temperature when he went berserk on his nose?

i suggest not feeding sweet treats until hes in his new tank either, not sure entirely but i think a sugar rush can trigger stress as well, if it indeed is the enclosure that scares your skink. this is however only what i think could help........not sure about it.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 150 guests