Nearly a year ago, I adopted Slinky, a tanimbar BTS and took him home to start a new life. His pervious owner had him for about 7 - 8 months and didn't even handle him at all. Now I admit, the hissing, the striking and the biting was very very scary at first! I had a bearded dragon before I got Slinky so this was pretty new to me. I have done tons of research before I decided it was time. Anyways, after a year of trying (and failing!!) with some techniques, on and off hand taming and patience (Slinky took a good 8 months to come out his shell!!!) I now have a blue tongue skink that is, well I hope he is, happy. I can now pet him without him trying to bite my fingers off, and he'll come up to my face at the viv without hissing and trying to take my nose off! Finally, we're making some big progress!! Note: the noise in this video is my sleeve rubbing off the viv door! Horrible noise!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXs0ic7B ... ature=plcp
Jut a little update on Slinky!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- Shortie
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Scotland
Jut a little update on Slinky!
Slinky the Tanimbar 
- AnnaMonroe
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:28 am
- Country:
- Location: BROOKLYN, NY
- Contact:
Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!
Yay!!! Go Slinky! Congrats on all of your progress. Patience sure is golden ^.^
- Niels D
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 195
- Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: The Netherlands
Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!
I had the same problem with one of my chimaereas. I never managed to prevent him from hissing alas. Nice work!
Greetings from The Lowlands
0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
- Shortie
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Scotland
Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!
Slinky's fine with me, but if anyone else touched him, he'll be the complete opposite and try to take their face off! There have been times where he's tried to jump out the viv to bite my sisters face! But I should've kept the camera on for a little longer! My mum walked in and as soon as he heard her voice, he ran and hid under his hide! He's petrified of her! If it were anyone else he would've tried to eat them! Typical chimaereas, but he'll calm down with age I think. I kinda miss the hissyness from Slinky to be honest. I'm not used to him being quiet!!
Slinky the Tanimbar 
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!
haha I love fiesty reptiles, I bet I would love a Tanny 
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Karen
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 477
- Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:41 pm
- Country: USA
Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!
It's great that you've had the patience to work with him! Slinky is gorgeous and hopefully will continue to get more and more comfortable with you.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi
- Shortie
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm
- Country:
- Location: Scotland
Re: Jut a little update on Slinky!
I want another Tanimbar! I miss his grumpyness!!!! Hahaha!
Karen, the next step will be picking him up and not have him lashing out at me or anyone else!
Karen, the next step will be picking him up and not have him lashing out at me or anyone else!
Slinky the Tanimbar 
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 422 guests
