Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Richard.C » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 am

Possably,aspera has a huge range,not just color variations but size differences to,some are giant,others tiny

Rugosa rugosa has some pretty insane variation to,some very dark,all the way through to those goldfields ones,some highly banded,others not, thsre probably less photographed then aspera as well
User avatar
scaredofbees
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 am
Country: US
Location: Pittsburgh
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby scaredofbees » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:00 am

I wonder if the "Monogamish" aspect of their reproduction habits has led to these variations being preserved from locality to locality instead of them eventually ending up a blend of all attributes.
0.1 Tiliqua rugosa aspera
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Richard.C » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Possably,though they can vary from even the one type locality,thinking of aspera,there range is huge ,from qld down to victoria,across to sa and catches up with rugosa rugosa near sa and wa border area,thats a huge range,lots of different climates and habitats in that range

2 forms i havnt seen in years ,not sure where they were from,but i had some when younger were a green with yellow flecks form,possably south east qld and a maroone with yellow flecks form,both were quite large,the maroone ones id love to get again,they were stunning,feisty as but stunning,family friends gave us some,over 20 years ago,will have to find out what locality they were from
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby auristi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Are these Avaliable in Canada? My bf is absolutely in love with them!! We have our northern now, really need to find my camera cord so I can upload the pics I have and he is a doll. When we get our own place we are planning on getting some more! Squee I'm totally smitten :)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:20 pm

auristi wrote:Are these Avaliable in Canada? My bf is absolutely in love with them!! We have our northern now, really need to find my camera cord so I can upload the pics I have and he is a doll. When we get our own place we are planning on getting some more! Squee I'm totally smitten :)


There are currently no known shinglebacks in Canada. That said, if you want to spend the $1000-$3000+ to purchase one in the USA (if you can even find one available, they rarely come available) you can get them into Canada easily.
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby auristi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Darn. Well he's always saying I have expensive taste .. This one oughta put him straight! Lol they are beautiful though
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Rani-May » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:58 pm

Im hoping they change the laws in Tasmania next year so that we can have other Australian reptiles shipped down to us. I want a shingleback and a merauke :(
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm

auristi: Just think, they make an excellent substitution for an engagement ring ;) What better way to say "I love you" than a beautiful, one-of-a-kind, expensive lizard :D

Rani-May, you know it's illegal to have meraukes in Australia, right? They're from Indonesia/Papau New Guinea. The shingleback would be a go though.
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby auristi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Might be a strange question are you able to bring them back to Canada from Australia? I was reading that it said exporting has been baned but is that with WC or CB as well? I'm wondering not about having them shopped but physically going down (we have been discussing future vacations) and purchasing and bringing them back

Are the laws up for discussion? Or is that whistful thinking? Lol
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Rani-May » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Thus the sad face :( Its illegal to have any but the blotched at the moment too. I want ALL of them lol, wasnt saying I was going to get one, sorry if it was unclear. I just wish I could have one and a shingleback. Might be able to have the Australian skinks imported next year though, im hoping.
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby auristi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Haha that was honestly the first thing that popped in my head!! Cheap engagement rig, amazing engagement lizard! I'll start a new trend!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Australia has banned all import and export. You cannot get an animal from Australia (legally). There are of course smugglers, but usually that amounts to torture for the animals. Thankfully most species are already being bred in captivity in the USA and around the world, so there are ways to get these species, it just takes time, effort, and cash. Interesting if Aus starts to allow exchange with Tasmania though :)

Auristi, that's my trend, now you're going to beat me to it :'( I've always said if anyone buys me a worthless diamond thing I'm just going to lose anyways, they don't know me well enough to be worth marrying. Buy me a pretty lizard though I know I'm loved :D
auristi
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Can

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby auristi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Haha well it won't be happening for a long while yet! you may still beat me. I would never want a ring that expensive since I'd be to scared to wear it! However, If acting like I do so I can get a lizard instead works ..... Lol please keep me updated if you ever come across any for sale in the us!!
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Rani-May » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh, its because Tasmania is in and a state of Australia, its just an island off of the mainland. Thats why they might be allowing some species to be brought down here. Pretty sure they are going over the risks etc at the moment and should be decided in may/june
User avatar
realis88
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am
Country:
Location: indonesia

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby realis88 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:28 am

woww nice
Spankenstyne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm
Country:
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Spankenstyne » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:06 am

Fatal_S wrote:
auristi wrote:Are these Avaliable in Canada? My bf is absolutely in love with them!! We have our northern now, really need to find my camera cord so I can upload the pics I have and he is a doll. When we get our own place we are planning on getting some more! Squee I'm totally smitten :)


There are currently no known shinglebacks in Canada. That said, if you want to spend the $1000-$3000+ to purchase one in the USA (if you can even find one available, they rarely come available) you can get them into Canada easily.


There are some around up here, but they are next to impossible to find as nobody ever seems to advertise. The late Tom Huff used to breed them up here in the 80's along with a few others. I know of at least one breeder out East that is working with them as a friend in Ontario is/was being gifted a baby. Apparently the breeder is a pretty private old-school type like most of this guy's friends, so I didn't bother pushing for a name.
I don't mean to sound too cryptic.I don't really have any more info than that, just to point out that there are some up here.

I used to see them in a few pet stores out west here in Alberta & BC in the late 80's but haven't seen any since, would I ever LOVE to have some now. Ernie Wagner in Seattle was producing them in the late 70's - 80's in Seattle and surely with the lax laws back then some trickled up.
It's so hot.....Milk was a bad choice
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:01 am

I had a feeling there were a few keepers kicking around, but ya, I don't know anyone for sure. I was pretty amazed that there are even a few Northern breeders in Canukida. BTS just seem to be so ignored by the herp community. Nice to hear some people are into the addiction :)
User avatar
ashnic05
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm
Country:
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby ashnic05 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am

Both such beautiful ladies! Congrats! :D
Spankenstyne
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:36 pm
Country:
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Spankenstyne » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Fatal_S wrote:I had a feeling there were a few keepers kicking around, but ya, I don't know anyone for sure. I was pretty amazed that there are even a few Northern breeders in Canukida. BTS just seem to be so ignored by the herp community. Nice to hear some people are into the addiction :)


Yeah it's great to see a few more of us up here working with Northerns & keeping them pure. I have some Indos I'm hoping to get some captive breeding going with too but time will tell.
Shingles will have to remain on the wishlist for some time yet I'm sure lol. We can at least enjoy threads like these in the meantime.
It's so hot.....Milk was a bad choice
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: Introducing: Hermione and Perdita

Postby Spindown » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 pm

I never get tired of Shingle faces <3's
I love the variation of browns and yellows
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 202 guests