Hey everyone!
I bought a blue tongue skink from a lady today that got him at a pet store 3 years ago. She had no idea if he is a Northern or not and I am just wondering if anyone can identify what type he is for me so I can provide the best care possible.
Also, he tends to rub his nose on the glass and screen that she had. I'm pretty sure it was due to poor hiding spots and cage set up and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
ReptileChick
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am
- Country:
- Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
- Kurt
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:23 pm
- Country:
- Location: Southern Oregon
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:Merauke
yup.

6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
- Richard.C
- Kimberley Klan

- Posts: 10474
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
- Country:
- Location: melbourne australia
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
Yep,what they said,nice looking one to,some blueys do the glass rub climb attempt thing even with lots of hides,there way of wanting to go explore perhaps
Welcome to the forum
Welcome to the forum
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
Hello and welcome 
Be sure to check out the caresheet for any information you might have missed, it will help tremendously.
now for the glass issue. its a very regular issue, and for some skinks its due to the fact that they dont understand what glass is, and this makes it either open space they should be able to pass through, or open dangerous space that stresses them.
- try to cover 3 sides of the terrarium with a background of some sort. it will help a lot for a starter.
- add a snug hide, a half log is always appreciated, but cheaper hides are also great (like paper cartons with a hole in them).
- add substrate for hiding in.
what size is its tank?
thats the only advice i can come up with that might help. downside is that your skink might be hiding much more, or that it wont help the glass/nose rubbing at all. my male northern has also had this problem from time to time, though especially in spring when hes on the lookout for pretty bts companions.
Be sure to check out the caresheet for any information you might have missed, it will help tremendously.
now for the glass issue. its a very regular issue, and for some skinks its due to the fact that they dont understand what glass is, and this makes it either open space they should be able to pass through, or open dangerous space that stresses them.
- try to cover 3 sides of the terrarium with a background of some sort. it will help a lot for a starter.
- add a snug hide, a half log is always appreciated, but cheaper hides are also great (like paper cartons with a hole in them).
- add substrate for hiding in.
what size is its tank?
thats the only advice i can come up with that might help. downside is that your skink might be hiding much more, or that it wont help the glass/nose rubbing at all. my male northern has also had this problem from time to time, though especially in spring when hes on the lookout for pretty bts companions.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Rani-May
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 786
- Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tasmania, Australia
- Contact:
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
If you have had your skink for three years and its still doing the rubbing the nose on the glass thing then i highly doubt it is stress, i think what Richard said, wanting to explore. A couple of my skinks do it just to let me know they want out and about for a bit. Just don't let them walk off too far from your sights unless you have a skink proof room? as in no cords, or anything he could eat but not digest (they tend to try to eat the most random of things) and no couches or cupboards with lifted bottoms for them to squeeze into etc.
Beautiful skink btw
Beautiful skink btw
-
ReptileChick
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 14
- Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 am
- Country:
- Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
Thanks everyone! He seems to be doing it less already because I have given him a few different hides and he doesn't have to worry about three cats near his cage all day. I'm sure his previous owner loved him but it seems as if she didn't realize that he needs at least a 40gal tank and heat lamps that are not seperated by glass. I'm still not sure if he is a Merauke or not lol his tail isn't as long and pointy as the ones I have googled. I'll just have to take your guys word for it
I will add a few more pictures later when he settles in. For now here is the first one I took of him when I got him yesterday
I will add a few more pictures later when he settles in. For now here is the first one I took of him when I got him yesterday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
A cute one!
LOL, hes adorable, he looks merauke to me, tails are all different lengths
Yes, people can mean well and still do less than perfect care...its very sad really, since there is an incredible invention called the internet...
LOL, hes adorable, he looks merauke to me, tails are all different lengths
Yes, people can mean well and still do less than perfect care...its very sad really, since there is an incredible invention called the internet...
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
- Toxique
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm
- Country:
- Location: Wisconsin, USA
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
My boy is constantly up against the glass in his tank all the time, but that's because he's always on the move and trying to explore. He's got three hides and plenty of stuff to clamor over, but he still nose bumps the glass no matter what I do. He's got no sore spot though, but sometime he thumps himself pretty good up against it. So long as his scales don't open up or a wound develops, I've learned that they're just stubborn and sometimes can be a bit thick-headed.
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
Re: Wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of BTS I have
100% Merauke. And heatlamps can be behind glass as long as they still heat the living area to the right temps. The only "lamp" that shouldn't shine through glass is UVB light, as UVB rays don't penetrate glass even if the light itself does. Even mesh can block UVB rays.
Good luck! He's gorgeous. Welcome to the forum.
Good luck! He's gorgeous. Welcome to the forum.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 195 guests

