Looking for advice about substrate...
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
Erebus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Townsend, MA
Looking for advice about substrate...
After doing some research I've decided to look into acquiring my first BTS. Have a large terrarium already purchased that should suffice for an adult, now just choosing the equipment I want to put in and just want to know what people can personally recommend to be used as bedding or substrate. I noticed the caresheet mentioned small animal bedding and if that's the best option then i'll go with that, but I know new products and information become available constantly so I'd like to get some feedback. Also I'm big on making the habitat as natural 'feeling' as possible so just a list of some good options would be really appreciated. Thanks!
-
tiliqua38
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 145
- Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 am
- Country:
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
I've always used aspen shavings from the small animal department. I've tried other substrates over the years and always go back to the aspen. My BTS seems happiest with it.
mixed breed - Cocoa RIP
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
shih tzu - Gizmo
Chihuahua - Marley
terrier/Chihuahua mix - Kendra
tortie cat - Angel RIP
black cat - Jake RIP
Irian Jaya BTS - Bubba
2 Leopard geckos - Bert and Ernie
Three toed/gulf coast integrade box turtle - Peanut
Three toed box turtle - Pebbles
-
KrisKringle
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States, New York
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
I and a majority of BTS owners use and recomend aspen shavings since skinks love it and it's cheap and easy to find. If you go to the pet store and don't see it in the reptile section go into the rodent section and they should have it, make sure it says aspen shavings or shaved aspen and not pine or cedar because that can harm your skink. You can also use carefresh which is easy to find and relativly cheap but some owners that use this says it packs down to much and might hold to much moisture which can lead to mold. Another great option which I may switch to because of availablility and price is condensed wood pellets which some owners use and can be found at Home Depot or Lows sold as wood pellets for wood pellet burners. Good luck!!
- xxmonitorlizardxx
- Walks with Squirrels

- Posts: 4050
- Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
- Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
- Country:
- Location: NJ, USA
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
Most breeders/keepers use/recommend cypress mulch.
I also prefer it
I also prefer it
- Linnea
- Swedish Flower

- Posts: 1781
- Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Sweden
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
cypress mulch (not harmful to forests and gives good humidity if needed), cork bark (doesnt absorb any water, so wont mold, somewhat eco), wood chips (not great for the forest, but it works) .
aspen shavings are popular but as said....cypress mulch can be worth the extra you pay for.
and yes, avoid pine trees and cedar.
aspen shavings are popular but as said....cypress mulch can be worth the extra you pay for.
and yes, avoid pine trees and cedar.
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
Actually, cypress mulch is extremely harmful to forests. Aspen not as much. Coconut substrates are very eco-friendly.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
-
Ellie_A
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 136
- Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:33 am
- Country:
- Location: Canada
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
I have been using eco-earth but have found that it gets packed down very quickly so that the skinks can't burrow in it. I may change to aspen shavings but was told originally that this would be too dry for my Irian Jayas. Is this correct or can I make the change? I think that my guys are getting ready to bruminate and they seem to hate that they can't burrow.
Ellie Atkin
http://www.lizardtales.ca
http://www.lizardtales.ca
- Wiener_dawg
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:28 pm
- Country:
- Location: United States
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
I use coconut shavings for my reptiles. Good for burrowing and not that costly either. Absorbs moisture so no worry of mold and holds in orders well. Also easy for spot cleaning. My BTS is happy with is and loves burrowing whenever he's in there
. Usually he sleeps with me and roams the room when I'm not home though.
-
Erebus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Townsend, MA
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
Thank you all for your input. It's really appreciated! :]
Got plenty of time before I look into adopting a skink so feel free to add anything to the thread, I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can and be as prepared as possible. No impulse buys for me.
Got plenty of time before I look into adopting a skink so feel free to add anything to the thread, I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can and be as prepared as possible. No impulse buys for me.
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
I use a layer of newspaper in the whole cage, and then put aspen in about half of the cage. Gives them a place to burrow, while still being easy to clean, etc. It is also a nice place to feed them roaches (on the newspaper side) or other live critters so they arent eating aspen. Aspen is a pain, but I've tried everything from dirt to coco-husk to bark, and aspen is just the easiest. (and cheapest)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
-
Erebus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Townsend, MA
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
I've been considering using ReptiCarpet on the bottom and covering that with the Aspen Shavings. It'd be a bit more costly but I think it'd be easier to clean in the long run. I noticed you said you feed your Skink roaches, are you referring to Dubias or something else?
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
yes, Dubias. Turks are too small and fast (my friend has these), and M. Hissers are too hard shelled and spikey (i also have these). However, you could feed them just about any larger roach, such as deaths heads, dubias, etc. I really want a colony of the death's heads roaches 
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
-
Erebus
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm
- Country:
- Location: Townsend, MA
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
Death's Head roaches? I've never heard of those or seen any at any expos I've been to. My buddy has a small group of Dubias going, ( He owns a Hairy Scorpion ) in a 10g tank. We'll probably share the group and add to it until we get a sizeable colony going. Since we're on the topic of food though how often did you feed your Bluey when it was a baby, and what food and portions? As descriptive as possible please. I wanna make sure my first Bluey lives a long and healthy life. :]
- Spindown
- Reptilian Artisan

- Posts: 2680
- Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
- Country:
Re: Looking for advice about substrate...
Use the search function for that last question. THere are lots of food and baby threads.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 177 guests
