The Perfect Enclosure

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 am

And no, "in nature" isn't a valid answer to this one :P

How would you create the ideal captive enclosure for a BTS?
What is your perfect BTS enclosure? I want details, people!
- What species? How many?
- Indoors? Outdoors?
- Size?
- Made of?
- Heated/lighted with?
- Substrate? Hides? Decorations?

What makes your idea great? What makes an enclosure perfect? Discuss :D
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Niels D » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 pm

My ideal enclosure was my old one, which I want to recreate again. I had two of them, each containing one Merauke.

Size : 100x40x60(height) cm
Temps + Lightning: It stood in a room wich was influenced by winter temperatures. In the winter nighttime temps could reach 15C. Daytime temps remained 30C at the warm side of the enclosure throughout the year. Warm side had a basking spot which could be controlled with a dimmer. No UVB. Used a timer.
Substrate : Coconut fiber with leaflitter
Heating : No heating except the basking spot. A stone was placed under the spot.
Hides : Just one big piece of cork bark which was never used. They burrowed a bit.
Made of : Full glas terrarium
Background : Made the background out of foam and grout. It contained pots filled with plants like pothos.
Humidity : Gave the plants water twice a week and sprayed the cool side of the terrarium three times a week.

I loved the fact that the room did the winter cooling period for me. The plants and background gave it a nice naturally look. A couple of times a year I put the female into the males terrarium for a couple of hours hoping they would mate. If I'm starting to make the new enclosure I will post some pics.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Spindown » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 pm

I want to get some boaphiles or some AP cages (or make my own from xpvc), somehow make them a split level with a removable soaking/drinking pool (for easy cleaning), with the bottom being aspen and hidey holes.
Species: Various//1 per cage
Indoors
Size: 48 x 24 x 17.5 if I went with BP cages, not sure on height for split level
Made of xPVC/molded plastic, with aquarium grade silicone in the edges to seal it
Sliding glass doors in front on tracks
Heat: CHE (with guard) or RHP (still looking into the details behind RHP's)
Lighting: internal overhead fluorescent or LED chain lighting
Substrate: Aspen on the bottom, probably reptile carpet velcroed on the plastic in other places, with extra carpet for continuous washing, maybe something different
Hides: would be an area under the second level full of aspen to hide in, probably provide hides that I have made from the flour/salt "clay" recipe, painted and sealed.
Decorations: would find a way to put greenery in there somehow, either real or fake.

I'm really leaning on making my own xpvc cage after typing all this out :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Richard.C » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

If they occur locally or in a similar climate hard to go past outdoor enclosures

Indoors i like big cages,with the aim being to create a large temp gradient,gives them choices,i dont like consistant warmth
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Rani-May » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Any amount, i think they get along fine or do well on their own, either or
Bigger enclosure the better
made of glass so i can see in and they can see out, we are all curious buggers lol
in a room with natural light but without sun hitting the enclosure itself if indoors, summer room temps dont often need heating for me, winter usually just a basking spot
a natural hollow log hide found in the bush with natural type substrate with a few plants. i personally use bark with a corner filled with snake/reptile bedding, always see the wild ones sprawled in bark here so why not use bark in an enclosure (bought packet version still though)
A happy skink makes the enclosure perfect. I like my enclosures natural :)
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Spindown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm

So i've spent the last two days designing my "perfect" bluey cage...Its heated by a RBI RHP, and lighting will most likely be a fluorescent fixture on a timer. The bottom, where the two "PVC" pipes are, will have a generous layer of aspen (which I couldnt figure out how to render). The two layers will be tiled, for easy clean up. There are two large vents, (the rectangles with the x's in them), when I test this build, I will add more if necessary, one is hidden behind a PVC pipe on the left of the pic...I'm not sure how I'm going to do the pool yet... :P


Image

I know I want to have some greenery in there somehow, either fake or real, but true decoration will have to happen when this cage gets built....someday when I have a job :)
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Rani-May » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:24 pm

I want that enclosure please :D
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Spindown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:34 pm

:D I used google sketchup to design it. Its very doable, but I'm guessing it will be a total, with supplies and everything, just over $300 per cage. But thats a fully furnished, heated, lighted, 2 level xpvc cage custom built... :)
oh forgot to mention, dimensions are 4 ft long x 2 feet wide x 17 inches tall.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Rani-May » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 pm

thats the average price for a second hand single layer 4x2x2 tank here. so id be more than willing to pay that for an enclosure like that! cheap as chips
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Richard.C » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:24 am

Something to consider with enclosures to,especially indoors with quite enclosed ones is temps can be consistantly to warm,might be fine for more tropical occuring species but not so great for the more temperate forms,some of which are from places with quite fluctuating temps,can be very hot,can also be very cold to,even at active time of year,its why for temperate forms i like a long cage,with large temp gradient,gives them options,plus if its cold outside,indoor cage fluctuates a bit similar to

Its funny actually as even with a hot spot,some prefer to just rest in cooler area till room warms up,some even hold out on breeding until the outdoors ones breed

Another often overlooked issue is where we keep our cages,all the different conditions surrounding our cages,the exact set up that works a charm for joe blow in one town may be a horrible set up for someone else elsewhere,some people have climate controlled rooms,others dont,so its important to test temps when setting cages up as depending on where cage is located,you can get alot different temp readings,not to mention what works for one species may not work for another
User avatar
Rani-May
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm
Country:
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Rani-May » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 am

I was always worried about overheating, thus having open enclosures. it makes keeping the humidity up a bit more difficult, have to mist it every day or two, but better than having temp issues in my eyes. :)
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Niels D » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 am

Love your sketch. Looks like skink paradise.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Re: The Perfect Enclosure

Postby Spindown » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:26 am

thanks :)

I plan to run this model after its built for at least a week, probably 2, to allow for any outgassing, as well as to see if the vents are appropriate size, and to see how it heats.
I'm more concerned with the proper humidity in this setup, which is why the vents are where they are...my native humidity is about 30-40%, so I dont want to get much higher than that with the blueys, but I want the nice pool for them, since my guys love their water bowls :P

My reptile room is as climate controlled as I can get it, considering that its on an old dial-up thermostat X_X. I keep it about 80*F in the summer, but I'm dropping it to 75*F end of November to begin a room-wide brumation.
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 188 guests